Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture?

Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture? 7 years 10 months ago #129233

I am looking for a source to repair or manufacture steel cables for throttle linkagses or shift cable. I have an OMC dual shift cable from an OMC 800 that has a broken sheath, but the steel is good. This thing is stupid money new and are no longer made, so I am looking for sources to repair/replace or otherwise. Don't want to get rid of the boat for this cable. There has to be somebody or comany out there that can do this.TIA for any sources or information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mike "Broken Roads II"

Re:Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture? 7 years 10 months ago #129235

Please post a picture that shows what the ends of the cable look like.
doc

Re:Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture? 7 years 10 months ago #129241

Several years ago, on a barrier island excursion in my houseboat, the outer sheath on my steering cable parted, but the stainless core was fine. So I alternated layers of spiraled stainless mechanics wire and duct tape. It held fine for quite awhile until I finally gave up on the old stringer 800 and went with an outboard. There are some good cable shops around that will put your old ends on new cables, just have to find them.

Re:Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture? 7 years 10 months ago #129243

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
If this is for out board controlls there is a guy on the Feather Craft site that has alot of NOS OMC cables for sale. They are brand new and priced right, I got 4 set's from him. Two of them I am converting to Merc. They are very nice and he has or had many different size's.
His screen n ame is JR.

Re:Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture? 7 years 10 months ago #129244

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Yah, picture please. If it's just the rubber coating on the ends this is a pretty common problem. Is it possible to slip several layers of shrink tubing over them? I've done this on outboard cable ends that always seem to pull away over age. Put on a shrink tube, heat it up, when that's on add another over the top and repeat.

Re:Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture? 7 years 10 months ago #129247

**************************************Regarding the control cables from the helm to I/O, throttle & shift******************************

The cables from the helm to the engine are common issue. If you have an OMC branded control, then the cable end will be the '79 thru style end at the front & SAE at the rear. In the day they were referred to as "stern drive" cables by OMC. They are now sold as "portable 4 stroke/SAE" by OMC/BRP. These cables are also available from Teleflex/SeaStar

*******************************BUT*********************************

I believe you are actually needing a new shift cable from the interface to the drive & as you know it is NLA and big $$$$$$$

For all you guys that added input above, this proprietary cable looks like a lamp cord. It has a small diameter cable that runs from the interface unit in the boat (where shift adjustment is made) to the lower gear housing. Essentially it is like a miniature rope & pulley steering system all contained in a housing that is routed thru the intermediate housing down to the shift mechanism on the top of the lower gear case.

Re:Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture? 7 years 9 months ago #129356

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. It is the lower unit shift interface cable as noted above. This is a single cable BUT has two steel wire cables encased in it. One pushes, the other pulls, and runs from the shift controller on the engine through the transom and into the lower unit. I have attached a picture that shows the separation at the sheath. I really appfeciate all the responses and the help. Thanks, guys!

Mike "Broken Roads II"

Re:Throttle cable/Shift cable repair or manufacture? 7 years 9 months ago #129357

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. It is the lower unit shift interface cable as noted above. This is a single cable BUT has two steel wire cables encased in it. One pushes, the other pulls, and runs from the shift controller on the engine through the transom and into the lower unit. I have attached a picture that shows the separation at the sheath. I really appreciate all the responses and the help. Thanks, guys!
Attachments:

Mike "Broken Roads II"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle