• Page:

TOPIC: caulking for windows?

caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129048

• Bellboy33
  • Bellboy33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi can anyone give me advise on what caulking to use on installing glass windows into a aluminum window frame (these are the two front window)in my 16 foot bellboy they are abot 2x3 feet in size im getting close to installing them as Im polishing the aluminum
the glass will be sandwished between the aluminum frames . I dont want to use the wrong product. Thanks for any advise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129049

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
You know what they say about free advice.
If it were me I'd use silicone. The 100% stuff not latex or regular caulking. The silicone comes in several colors, white, black, brown, silver, clear etc. When working with that stuff a clean job can be accomplished by masking off around your area. Don't do the smooth it with your finger thing. Lay the silicone down, install your window, and lay another bead down then install your frame.

Re: caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129051

i always like an exterior grade antifungal product - there is structural glazing grade stuff in ultra clear used for frameless glass shower assembly (crl supply)- i am a believer in not overdoing it with caulk - one day you may need to disassemble and wish you didnt adhere it to last the apocalypse.... a test on samples is always good too if you can........good luck!

Re: caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129052

3M 8509??

Re:caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129071

are these one piece frames ???? i bought the replacement rubber insert for mine my had hardened over 50 years ... i tried the silicone didnt like it i was on the C R Lawrence website looking for the stuff it has the lip for the frame edges and the ribs to keep the glass in the frame. 100 foot rolls but cheap. mine were channels with tiny roll pins holding the frames together .. it is in the auto section and doors and windows section .. if i need to i can send you the cut sheet on it. i did one and it was the exact same as the old stuff ... i screwed up the other glass with the silicone so i am waiting on another piece of lexan.

billy

Re:caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129083

OK got to know. How did the silicone screw up the window? did it cure in a way that caused a problem or stick so well it broke during removal? I need to know because I was going to use it as a temporary (could be a couple of years) seal on my windows that i will need to remove later.

Re:caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129088

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Working with silicone is easy if you mask off edges with tape. Use it like you are going to paint. If you are sealing a window, mask the window about an 8th inch into the glass and then spread the silicone, remove the tape right away and you will have a perfect straight edge. If you let it set and then try cleaning up edges you're screwed.

Re:caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129148

ok how i can screw up silicone with the windows .. i polished my frames, came out real good. my original windows were 3/16" . i cant find anyone using 3/16' lexan so i got the windows cut to the same size as the old ones. first mistake , the windows sat in the frame with the insert so not big as the frame itself. so i got my silicone and filled the frame in the bottom wasn't going to fill it all the way up just enough to secure the glass. well the window was smaller without the rubber insert and when i slid the glass in it moved from side to side front to back and as i tried to center it i realized this wasn't going to work. i dont think taping would help my problem. but i did find the rubber insert the other piece i had was the right size with the insert and worked fine . i probably could recut the glass bigger to fill the frame up and then the silicone would work but i didn't since i had the insert. i may wind up taking the curved windows back out and using the insert with those too i just cut the old inserts up and laid the glass in to those. im not saying silicone wont work i just had the problem of using smaller glass without the insert it was cut for, C R Laurence is a good outlet for a lot of the items you could use for rebuilding the boat, another great outlet is McMaster Carr cheap stainless but bulk, 100 or 50 of the smaller stuff but you will use it. i am still learning.

billy

Re:caulking for windows? 7 years 10 months ago #129160

• Bellboy33
  • Bellboy33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for all the advise I won't be able to
Find a gasket premade as these frames screw togather with tiny screws so sounds like I will
Do some studying on some of the brands that were mentioned, but it sounds like silicon will work fine but I hear it's a real hard to clean up if I ever have to replace a window. Thanks again!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online