• Page:

TOPIC: Poliglow

Poliglow 7 years 10 months ago #128810

• hodgify
  • hodgify's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Any body use poliglow to restore gel coat shine. Watched a couple videos and it looks pretty good. Fixing up a 16 foot bow rider for family use at the cottage. Gel coat nice and clean just really dull and I would rather not do any painting this year. Is it just expensive Mop And Glow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Poliglow 7 years 10 months ago #128814

Well I'll throw in my 2 cents. Not a big fan, pretty much mop and glow. I'm a proponent of the good ole wet sand, rubbing compound and polishing compound then wax school of thought. Poliglow is temporary, the hard work is permanent as long as you wash and wax it.

Bob

Re:Poliglow 7 years 10 months ago #128816

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I've brought back some pretty bad-looking gelcoats by hand wet-sanding with 1,200 and then 1,500 grit. Then I use a commercial buffer with rubbing compound followed by Meguair's #1, #2 and finally, #9. (Spray pads with water for each application.) It's a lot of work and it's messy but the results are worth it. Be sure to cover the boat interior with plastic and use a separate polishing pad for each product.

To get your technique down, try it on a "junk piece" of fiberglass with faded gelcoat (or on somebody else's boat...HA!) before you turn yourself loose on the project.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Poliglow 7 years 10 months ago #128818

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I agree with Waterwings and Nautilus for the correct way to get nice results. I will just toss in 2 more cents from a pure novice (me)...since your boat is a "daily driver" and perhaps not intended as a preserved or restored Glassic, maybe consider trying some of that Flitz product (look up some videos). I tried just a small sample on some glass that was not critical and was amazed at how well it worked and how easily it was applied. I think if I had a "real boat" that I wanted to show, I would let an experienced person do the process the others described...or I would practice on 2 or 3 "friends" old "daily drivers" to see if I could get my skills up to the point where I trusted doing my own "show quality boat". Flitz worked for me on my "daily driver", but it may not be for others or for your project (works for lots of other stuff too, so not bad to have around). I do not work for them, nor do I get commissions from them. I just found a sample at a snowmobile show to try on my old sled fiberglass hood...then used on my boat since I liked the results.(note: Sometimes I do find the professional methods do help me justify purchasing more of "the proper tools" for my workshop :)even if I never quite master them)...is that so wrong?

Dr.Go!

Re:Poliglow 7 years 10 months ago #128820

I have used a product called "wax and restore" by 3m that I have been very pleased with. For the best results though I would highly recommend an angle grinder style variable speed power buffer. I got one from harbor freight for something like $30 dollars that works great! If your just looking for a quick fix wax and restore is the way to go.

Re:Poliglow 7 years 10 months ago #128828

Like others I prefer a sanded and polished finish on my boats in fact I'm in the middle of a restoration of a G3 and today I hope to finish fixing the new gel coat where I sanded through. Damn edges. Anyway I would caution anyone who wishes to begin this process to take your time as a buffer can kit your butt. They are a bit heavy and require constant movement which makes them a real workout. Your upper body and shoulders will really be tested. Results can be quite gratifying but to some may pale when compared to the effort necessary.

Have never tried any of the mop and glow type products but have some in the garage to be tried on a sale item.

Jack

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online