Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buying a used boat lift...steel or aluminum?

Buying a used boat lift...steel or aluminum? 7 years 11 months ago #128614

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm going to have to get a lift for my daughter's boat. We just got a lake home, and her boat will be completed by Spring. I want it on a lift so it's ready to go next summer. I found a nice steel lift with a good canopy for only $400. I'm going to have to move the lift every spring and fall as the lake will freeze. My neighbors bring theirs in to shore and put them on cinder blocks (it's pretty shallow there) but will have to move it out 70-80 feet to set it up for summer. I worry the steel lift will be too heavy?
The aluminum lifts are MUCH more expensive. We will be in fresh water here in WI.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Buying a used boat lift...steel or aluminum? 7 years 11 months ago #128615

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I applaud the decision for a lift, best thing I ever did for boat health and piece of mind.
I'm in NewEngland so same issues with removal and install every year.
I did get aluminum for both lifts I have, I'm on fresh water, , galvy steel was recommended for brackish water, not good mix for aluminum I guess.
Make sure your cables are stainless, absolutely worth the upgrade even in fresh water.
A few thoughts,
In the long haul steel is heavy and the pipes will rust even when galvanized. All this makes removal difficult and messy with rust stains. My dock posts where galvy steel and developed scaly rust in only a few years.
At any rate it's the weight that is the real negative to steel.
If would also highly recommend the wheel set most lift makes offer, this makes it easier to get it in and out.
You can't really lift them in deeper water to move so, if you drag it in the wheels make this possible with a lot less effort. I had a chain and rigged up a low dollar truck winch to drag it in. In the Spring I got a few truck inner tubes and floated it out till in position. Not a pretty operation but pretty darn easy on the muscles.
They are a pain and awkward at install and removal but worth the effort in my humble opinion. As far as the canopy goes, I still put on a full mooring cover because the boat gets dirty sitting open even though it has a roof, the canopy in my opinion really is just protection from the sun beating down rather than weather/ dirt protection.
Price trade off is in the eyes of the beholder.
Good luck,
Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online