Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to me 1969 Glastron v153

New to me 1969 Glastron v153 7 years 11 months ago #128469

Hello from Ontario Canada.

I picked up this nice condition 1969 Glastron as a first boat on a whim. Older gentleman had done the work to get her how she looks today:

- new stringers, redid the floor, new glass in floor, new transom. Has a 1969 Mercury Thunderbolt 650 that is also in good running condition, rebuilt carbs and new wiring.

I'm brand new to boating, no one in my family has ever been near them, so it's exciting to learn about these older boats. My wife and I do enjoy 'older' stuff, as we find it has a lot more character.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go. Only ran the boat a handful of times this summer, as we got it pretty late in the year (gets cold up here in September so it's a short season).

Right off the bat, it looks like the carb rebuild wasn't perfect as there seems to be some fuel running out somewhere, the starter comes and goes (sometimes it cranks and sometimes not), and the lower unit could be replaced. But she runs great once going and on the water.

Look forward to learning as I go. Here's some photos:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New to me 1969 Glastron v153 7 years 11 months ago #128483

That is a true classic. Glastron was one of the pioneers in the Vee Bottom movement from exactly that time period, and other boats are often copies (splashes) of basic Galstron techniques.

Lovely boat and way better than we find most of them. That one was well done.

Look at the fuel log (the lines feeding the carbs). I find that some folks think the old hoses are still OK as they are pliable, but they won't compress on the nipples and weep. I also never use screw style hose clamps on fuel. I use Corbin clamps as they apply pressure around the hose and allow it to expand or contract with changes in temp. they seem to stay drier over time :)

Re:New to me 1969 Glastron v153 7 years 10 months ago #128757

Will def have a look in the spring. That could easily be the culprit.

Question, what lower units are interchangeable among these Mercury's? It's a Red Band 1969 Mercury 650 (four cylinder). I'd like to pick up a used lower unit as my skeg is trashed and looks like there is a hole in the lower unit.

Re:New to me 1969 Glastron v153 7 years 10 months ago #128791

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
that is real cute!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online