Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: i think there should be a new forum.....

i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128468

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
for moron's...i'm first'
haven't run my boat in 2 years so i read somewhere that i should spray some wd40 in the cylinders and crank it over a few times so the pistons don't seize up. so i uncover the engine, take the shroud off, connect the cables to the battery, and of course its stone dead. get out the battery charger and charge it overnite. next day all i get is the starter motor spinning when i turn the key, won't turn over. so i hook up my charger,,turn it on engine start, turn the key..same thing. it is in neutral.
a few hours later my bro brings home his sea-ray. i back it up my driveway ,into his backyard with my tractor. thats where he keeps it off season. so i ask his friend if he could look at my outboard. show him whats goin on when i try to turn it over with the remote. he looks at me and i can see he's tryin to hold back the laughter. i say "john, i can see your on the edge of crackin up..whats so funny." he walks to the back of the boat, (and are you ready)...he pulls the pull starter, and it turns over nice and smooth!!!!!!!!STUPID FXXXX ME...i wasted 2 days tryin to crank the engine with the key. i guess the only logical reason that i didn't think of the pull start is because i never ever used it. geez, i hope thats the reason!
let's see if anyone can top that one...ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128470

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
O K Ron, you can have the # 1 spot on the new forum. I think that is a good idea, I am sure that we will hear of a few more as time goes by. but not from me. lol. greg

Re:i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128477

Ron, you should remember, at your age, when none of us had (or could afford) electric start outboards!!!! How did we start 'em???

Come back tomorrow and I will tell you!!!!!!!!

I used to pull start a v-4 75 hp Johnson back in the day, when the starter failed!!! This ole Johnson which I ran on 1960 G-3 from 1960 to 1977!!
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128481

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
the last outboard that i pull started was an 18hp evinrude on my aerocraft lummie that my dad bought for me and my brothers when i was 13.

Re:i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128482

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
My folks bought a resort in 1964, and we had a renter that had the steering came loose on his runabout. He asked me if I could fix it for him, I was in the 7 th grade and could do anything I thought. well I wrapped the cable around the steering drum the wrong way and got it all tight and told him it was fixed. So he takes off and went to turn one way and the boat went into one of our docks, I got to fix the dock, the steering on his boat, and had to give him back the 5 bucks he gave me to fix it. just a mistake I will never do again.

Re:i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128487

My first motor boat was a 64 Starcraft with an Evinrude 90. The starter nosecone broke off the third season I had it, couldn't afford a new one so I had to pull start by wrapping a rope around the flywheel. I ended up using it that way the whole summer :blink:

Re:i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128488

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ron, The federal govn't can beat any moron hands down. Remember back in the 60's when the space race was going hot and heavy the U.S. had to figure out a way to get their ball point pens to write in zero gravity. After several hundred thousand dollars on research they came out with a usable pen. Meanwhile the Russians were using a simple lead pencil. Rule of thumb. If something doesn't work the first time check to see if the plug is in the wall or in your case check to see if there is a pull start. Hope you found your problem.
Cal

Re:i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128500

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Moron alert! Not boat but M/C. I always kept my old (37 years now owned)Harley Shovelhead ready to run all the time. One year as had more (too many bikes, as boats) trying to keep up I kinda let the bike sit. Went to fire it spring, and no go? ALWAYS fired right up? Cranked the "electric leg" again and again. Charger on, try more. Then the starter solenoid gave up. Rebuilt that. Still zip. Then the Bendix went south and (witch to get at) replaced that. At my wits end as I knew that bike as I have had every nut and bolt in my hands, bored and stroked motor, etc.

Gave up and crashed. Guess the foggy brain cleared out and woke up 3am when I remembered I DRAINED THE DAMN GAS OUT FALL! The one time I didn't leave a note on the bars!

Re:i think there should be a new forum..... 7 years 11 months ago #128511

Worst I've had so far on my boat is putting my truck into reverse on the ramp just when I remembered about the plug.
Bikes? oh, yeah. i think I've done most mistakes. Forgot the kickstand? Done it. Flooded because I used the kill instead of the key, only to forget to put it back into RUN...

Will

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online