• Page:

TOPIC: Price/Reality Check

Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127913

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Has anyone looked through the Boats section in the Glassifieds recently? Some of the asking prices are way up in the clean air, at least compared to where they were a year or two ago. I realize that askin' ain't gettin' but some of them seem to be priced more than double what you would expect. I can't decide if the owners are selling or fishing. Either way, they're too rich for my wallet. I have a field full of collectible fiberglass boats. Maybe I'll quit work. I could be sitting on a gold mine.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re: Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127915

I just had a look. Prices seem all over to me. I'm also new so don't have a firm idea of reasonable or unreasonable on pricing. I didn't see any pictures in any of the ads I checked to have an idea of condition.
Rodney

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127923

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
There is a nice looking duo trihull on there for a sum of 200.00 . yes it is mine. lol

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127927

Well, it sure would be nice in one way if our classic boats had more value. IMO, a lot less than classic cars do... But then again, it sure gives us a cheap hobby, and a chance to own something way cooler than a new "clorox bottle" boat :)

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127928

Cheap to buy, expensive to fix and restore.

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127937

I just love classic glasssics, and find that if I find one that strikes me in the heart,...The cost to rebuild & restore,...Myself,...Makes it all worth while, and way cheaper than laying down a stack of 'Benjamins' for a new or near new fiberglass "Jane Doe" boat.
After reviewing the 'how to do it' on this site,...I just duct tape my sleeves and mask up, and git-r-dun.
Although my fiberglass work finish product isn't all that sexy,...I'm getting better at it, and once my back-yard garage paint guy puts on the finishing touches,...I really enjoy seeing the $20,000 + boat owners giving us the 'thumbs up' as we cruise.
Granted,...Some of my 'out of the box' hull modifications result in a bust - at least I'm not broke in the process & totally love the hobby.
My 'wifey pooh' (Mercury Momma') gets a wee bit growly when I give her a big ole hug, etc when I'm coated with the evils of fiberglass, but in the end she sure loves cruising when she can.
doc
Attachments:

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127953

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
2 Thumbs up for those 2 rigs!! I am also fortunate that my co-pilot (and gearhead herself) enjoys the sport/hobby with me.

Dr.Go!

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127960

She's so young you must have trained her from a very early age.

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127961

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
There are a couple that seem a bit high but they are done turn key boats, the Jet Streak is very interesting as I have one and I probly couldn't redo it as nice as that one for the price he is asking. Thats counting labor but we all know that for some reason can't be included in a price.
Be interested to know if he gets close.

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127962

Cosmic, send JR a message, the JetStreak is sold (or at least tentatively pending shipping arrangements). Headed to Minnisota. JR is looking for a reliable shipper.

He brought it to a meet last weekend. I missed it in the water, but saw it on Sat at an AOMCI meet. His work on it is impressive.

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127981

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
That F.C. Flyer is a thing of beauty also. Drool.......

Re:Price/Reality Check 7 years 11 months ago #127984

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I think the prices are all over because the buyers are all over. I for one, love to find free boats on CL. I have enough trailers laying around that I often just take the boat and let them sell their trailer for some $$.
I have my own little graveyard of boats hoping for a new life should I ever get to them.

I see the same condition boats for sale all the time for $500-1000. I don't even call. But I see that they sell. I wonder if some buyers see free and figure they are too far gone to restore, but a $750 boat must be better?
Just one theory.

This summer I was at my cousin's cottage with my SeaKing that is completely original and in incredible condition (that I paid $400 for) and she was impressed that an old boat could look so nice.
She called me last weekend to ask if I could look at a boat for her. It's a 1976 Chrysler, original owner, that looks brand new! It is nearly the same as the boat her dad bought years ago before he died, so there is a strong sentimental pull. Long story short, he was asking $2500, and was including all the canvas and bimini, as well as a trailer with new tires and a power winch.

I told her to pay the $2500. I figure if a family cares that much for a boat over the last 40 years, you might as well pay them for it:)
Should will likely never see a boat like that again. Not in that shape.

I also would imagine that for those selling their restored boats for $10,000, there may very well be guys out there that have no interest or ability to do that work and are more that happy to pay for some one else's work to have something unique.

So, price them where you want them, and see what sticks!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online