Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone seen a wood boat trailer?

Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 8 years 1 day ago #127828

I recently bought this JavLyn mahogany boat. The boat came on this wood trailer. At first I didn't like the idea, and was sure I would replace it, but after looking at it, I am liking it. The trailer looks to be built for this boat, as it fits perfectly. Was this a factory built trailer, or a homebuilt job. It could be easily restored, really only needs cosmetic repair, wood not damaged or rotted at all.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 8 years 1 day ago #127832

If the shoe fits...

certainly won't have to worry about rust :silly:

Re:Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 8 years 1 day ago #127833

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
looks awful heavy to me, but is a cool one of a kind trailer

Re:Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 8 years 1 day ago #127835

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Just curios - might the trailer float off of its wheels (especially when empty and trying to load)?? Even if just very light at that point, a strong River current at a launch might jack-knife the trailer. Could be heavily treated and may not float. Hmm new one for me. Interesting to say the least.

Dr.Go!

Re:Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 8 years 1 day ago #127840

I think I saw one once at the Herreshoff Museum in Bristol, RI. It was under a small wooden sailboat IIRC from the 1920s.
Rodney

Re:Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 8 years 1 day ago #127846

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If you live long enough, you'll get to see pretty much everything to do with boating. I remember seeing several wooden boat trailers in the early 1950's. These were all home-built I believe. Plans for wooden boats were common and even trailer plans were available in mags like "Popular Mechanics". Back then, it was much more a DIY world for boaters. Metal working experience was rare but anyone could saw 2X4s and bolt them together. Axles, springs, shackles, and wheels would be made from junk yard auto parts so they were quite heavy. None of the trailers I saw even came close to floating.

Jerry

Re:Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 8 years 1 day ago #127849

The trailer does have quite a bit of steel in it, and it looks well built, I doubt it would float, the rear axle is dropped to lower the boat. I think I will use it, as restoration should be easy. No 2x4's here, as main beams are 4x6.

Re:Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 8 years 7 hours ago #127875

I built a couple of wooden trailers in the early seventy's for boats that required something other than a standard bunk setup. I don't have pictures anymore, but they worked quite well. One even hauled the boat from New England to Florida and back several times.

Wood is not a bad structural material and I don't think the trailers were any heavier of lighter than steel equivalents. I don't think that after accounting for the weight of the wood itself plus the axle, springs and brackets to attach them to the trailer, it would have floated. We never had to back it in so far as to find out.

Re:Anyone seen a wood boat trailer? 7 years 11 months ago #127885

Many of the aluminum I beam trailers of today float on the ramps as the tires become buoyant.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online