Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DIY window replacement Acrylic? PIC

DIY window replacement Acrylic? PIC 8 years 4 days ago #127765

I am going to try to replace the broken window on my 59 Dorsett - I have the old frame out and made a cardboard template which fits well into the slot. Problem is I am not sure how to proceed further - what kind of product to use Acrylic or some other bendable plastic product.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: DIY window replacement Acrylic? PIC 8 years 4 days ago #127766

Re: DIY window replacement Acrylic? PIC 7 years 11 months ago #128283

Howdy. So I have made about a dozen sets of these windows throughout the years and so far they have all been made from the exact same stuff. The product you need is 1/8" Clear cast acrylic.

I know some people use 1/8" polycarbonate to "cold bend" windshields but that is usually when the windows are larger and the radius isn't so tight.

On the Dorsett Catalina's and San Juan's you are going to need to heat form that window to get it to the right shape. The trim on these windows isn't strong enough to hold a cold bend. The plastic will just pop right out.

It's not a perfect method but a quick easy way to make your mold is to wrap some thin veneer around the outside of your window frame. That will give you the rough radius you will need to form the plex to. After that you would ideally stick your plexiglas blank into the oven and heat it up until its soft as a cooked noodle. Most people don't have an oven large enough though so they use a heat gun to warm up the area of the plex that needs to bend.

If you are using a heat gun make sure to keep it moving in small circles or smooth horizontal passes. Don't leave it in one place or you will burn the plex and make it bubble. It will take about 10 minutes to heat the entire area until it is soft enough to form. When its ready, wrap it over your form and stretch it outwards in both directions away from the bend. You will need to hold it there to keep it from shrinking off the mold. In about 5 to 10 minutes it will be hard enough that you can take it off the mold and start installing.

If you have never tried bending acrylic before I would recommend making a few test pieces to mess around with before you get started. It's not rocket science but can be a little odd to work with on a first go.

If you give up on the project and want help let me know. Or if you just need some pointers while you are in the middle of the job I'd be more than happy to walk you through it on the phone. You can email me through here and I will get you my contact information. I have a set of windows for a 1960 Catalina in my shop and I think they are identical.

The Plastics Guy
- Sacramento, CA
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login