Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finding boat value?

Finding boat value? 8 years 5 days ago #127700

I just acquired a 1960 Dowty Turbocraft.The length is 16ft. I could sure use someone's help in determining what this boat is worth and where to find a new home for it.
It was professionally redone years ago and is still is in very, very, nice shape but not perfect. It has a couple of minor scratches in the hull and I do not know the last time it was run even though everything looks good.
Pic's and more info are readily available.
Could anyone please help me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Finding boat value? 8 years 5 days ago #127701

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
There's not much history available in our library. How long is the boat, inboard, outboard, motor, running, clean registration, trailer? All things people want to know. If you could post some pictures it would really be helpful.

Re:Finding boat value? 8 years 5 days ago #127706

Dowty was the licensee given from Buehler Turbocrat of Indianpolis for Canada. The Dowty hulls were the first generation hull that was built from molds that Buehler Turbocraft had made from late 1958 through 1960. Buehler also sold these hills under the Buehler Turbocraft nameplate. Buehler had this 16' hull design taken to the Salmon River in Idaho for testing during the summer of 1959 by the Buehler Corporation. The following year, they offered the new. 18' model called the Jet 35. This ,ode was taken to the Grand Canyon for the Colorado Expedition that is chronicaled in the book "White Water" written by Joyce Hamilton whose husband John and his father Bill had designed and engineered the Hamilton Jet Drive. John Buehler, owner of Indiana Gear Works became the licensee in North America and Canada in early 1959.
Buehler sponsored and paid for the Colorado River expedition of 1960 to show the merits of the new propulsion system. If you get the chance, it is an incredible read! The only powerboats that actually conquered the
Colorado River.
There is so much more interesting information regarding the rich history of Buehler Turbocrsft.

Re:Finding boat value? 7 years 11 months ago #128024

After reading the response about the Dowty Turbocraft it sounds like there is a very interesting history involving the boats. I would love to keep this boat but circumstances are keeping me from being able to do so. I really would love to know an approximate value or have someone at least make an honest offer on it. I need to do something with it within the next month. Would appreciate any help I can get.

Re:Finding boat value? 7 years 11 months ago #128035

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Photos! In order to get an offer, you'll need to post many photos of everything: inside, outside, dashboard, engine, upholstery, trailer, etc. Also, you have a boat that may or may not run...or run properly. All of these things will weigh in on any offer you might receive.

Your best bet might be to post it for sale in the Glassifieds and ask a price you are willing to live with. There are a zillion boats for sale in the Fall. It might be tough to sell it in the next 30 days unless you price it as a "motivated seller."

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Finding boat value? 7 years 11 months ago #128308

Where do you go to put pics on the forum?

Re:Finding boat value? 7 years 11 months ago #128309

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Get your photos on your computer/phone etc. They are best if around 1000 pixels. Size can be changed in the windows "paint" program.
On the bottom of the box where you post there is a "browse" button with "img" along side of it. Click on the browse, find your photo, open it and it will come up in the browse window. Hit "submit" and it will be posted. To add more pictures to the same post use the "edit" button, add another picture and then "submit" again. Do this over and over until you are finished.

Re:Finding boat value? 7 years 11 months ago #128350

This is what is at the bottom of the post

Finding boat value? 3 Weeks ago Karma: 0
I just acquired a 1960 Dowty Turbocraft.The length is 16ft. I could sure use someone's help in determining what this boat

Report to moderator
Quick Reply Reply Quote Edit

Re:Finding boat value? 7 years 11 months ago #128354

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
When you WRITE your post on the bottom of the screen is the "browse" button. When you read someone else's post it is not on the same screen. Look at the bottom of your screen when you write.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online