Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: tight corner or tight groove sanding.....

tight corner or tight groove sanding..... 8 years 1 week ago #127630

long ago I bought a Porter Cable profile sander. It was a great concept, but the profile gripper on the sander itself was useless, because the profiles are a flexible but harder rubber, and the gripper wouldn't hold the profile and it would just fall off when you turned on the sander, or the sander would move and the profile jus sat there when you touched the wood or fiberglass.

Presently I need to sand in a tight groove. I tried to just fold my sand paper/Klingspor sanding belt,that I cut into pieces to get in there, but it just wasn't working the way I wanted it too.
So, I pulled out the sander just to try the sanding belt wrapped around the rubber profile and hand sand it ? I used the 45 degree wedge profile from the sander kit.
What a relative piece of cake it was sanding the groove from that point on.

You don't need the sander, just the profiles. These profiles come in wedges, small concave and convex radii. If you ever find a cheap set ?
Get them. They will save you a headache.
Just my opinion...

disclaimer: I do not work for Porter Cable nor do I get compensation for the above content.
I am just relaying great sanding profiles for a not so well designed sander.... BTW....
I found these on line, they are not mine, and I am not selling them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:tight corner or tight groove sanding..... 8 years 1 week ago #127631

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Great idea! You can do my sanding ANY day!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:tight corner or tight groove sanding..... 8 years 1 week ago #127632

Jan,
I'd love to do your sanding, but please let me do my most favorite thing of all, by sliding down a stair banister covered in razor blades into a vat of gasoline !

Maybe you missed the "RELATIVE EASIER" part of my post ?
We all know sanding sucks @ss !!!!

Re:tight corner or tight groove sanding..... 8 years 5 days ago #127710

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Are these tight enough for ya? LOL welcome to my world. I do all that type by hand folding the paper as needed. Not a boat but you get the idea. Just finished this 37 after about 60hrs of detail sanding.
YUK!!!
Attachments:

Re:tight corner or tight groove sanding..... 8 years 5 days ago #127712

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
You have mastered both your Craft AND Patience. By the mirror look of that car, both your talents pay great dividends. I have started the boat sanding process. I just try to imagine my finished project as if it was NOT sanded patiently or properly so I can use that image of a poorly finished project regret as my motivation to "get it right" the first time and be patient...I figure if I was in such a hurry (because I didn't think I had enough time), then where was I going to get the "Extra" time to do it all over again to fix a hurried up job. I have to look at it and live with it, so I at least want to own it and say "I did the best that my talent could give me". My talent is no where near what I see here...but this is my first and I am learning every day I come on this site.
Thanks for all of the tips.

Dr.Go!

Re:tight corner or tight groove sanding..... 8 years 5 days ago #127716

cosmic12,...I will send my address & expect you here Monday morning to do a wee bit of 'touch up' to my embarrassing fiberglass work on an uber top secret project. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
BBQ'd fresh King Salmon and lots of ice cold beer await your arrival.
I am attaching a picture of a sweet Silver Salmon my son caught (and released) yesterday.
doc
My son's long hair is being grown to donate to 'locks of love' a cancer support group that creates wigs for female cancer patients that go through chemo. Second time he has done this. Pretty cool IMHO.
Attachments:

Re:tight corner or tight groove sanding..... 8 years 5 days ago #127718

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Wish I could help Dr. I really do but all those miles get in the way,if you were closer we could trade out some labor I suck at making them run and need alotta help there.
Thanks for the complements guys, It is time and labor and to dumb to do anything else.
Chuck, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. oops....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online