Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How far would you drive for your next boat?

How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127404

• Dr.Go!
  • Dr.Go!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
www.google.com/maps/@45.7720724,-92.7361476,271m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I hope this link comes through from Google Maps. If so, click on "Earth" to get the Satellite view... then zoom in and rotate around and look at all of the boats...50-60-more? Also - if you know how to use the google "Street View" (Click and hold on the little yellow person on the lower right...then drag it over and hold it over the highway 70 road out front and then let go. It should allow you to "drive by" the front of this place where some boats are out front. I have purchased a few motor parts there (throttles and faceplates). Back at that time, I was not looking for boats, but now wish I was...they were everywhere and not sure I saw one duplicate.

Was just curious how far members drive for their "treasures". My furthest (so far) was 450 miles away.

Maybe there is a boat (or motor - lots of Mercs)here waiting for someone to find.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dr.Go!

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127408

Wow that's a lot of boats ! Looks like Cosmic12's place Ha-Ha-Ha !

I'd go up to 8 hours one way to get a boat ?

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127410

My furthest drive for a boat was up to Sayner, WI from GB to get the blue Marlin - about 360 mile round trip.

Back in July I did the "Tour of Wisconsin" to pick up 2 motors, and that ended up being around a "2 tanker" - 650 miles as I criss-crossed the state to get the motors and hit Summerfest

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127411

I live in western Washington and I almost drove to Wyoming to buy a boat...that is a long way away! I think it google mapped to almost 18 hours. I ended up driving up about 4 hours north of where I live for the last boat I purchased.

4 hours on a trailer you've never used before can be a little sketchy. :blink:

20.5' 1966 ClipperCraft, 18' 1978 Olympic, and a 12' 1959 Elgin Car Top.

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127412

Last one I picked up from any real distance was Fresno CA to Farmington NM 884 miles one way. Did it in a weekend with my son. Have done several what I consider local 4 or 5 hrs one way.

Jack

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127413

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
About 80 miles one way.
Can't get a street view of that graveyard, only the highway.

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127414

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Those are some good road trips. I am sure there are tons more out there. I always try to "justify" by finding interesting "other" things to see and do along the route or small detour when I believe I may never travel that way again. Kind of a good excuse to see more of this beautiful country and meet some great other boat owners with great family stories of the old boat they are selling. The passion rages on for many out there. I love pictures and stories of these road-trips. I do know what you are saying about unknown trailers towing too far. I practically have a trailer re-build kit along when I do this and that is AFTER major checking and asking all of the questions. Breakdowns and bad experiences are not something I want to experience (prior proper planning prevents "p" poor performance). Picture and stories are welcome and may inspire others to overcome the fear of a first road trip for treasures!

Dr.Go!

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127416

That's Tim Olson's yard in Grantsburg Wi. I've bought a Tomahawk, a couple of trailers, and other odds and ends from him over the years.
I have heard that he is being pressured by the county to clean up the boats. Hope it's not true.
I've posted some pics of Tim's place taken in 1999. Most of the interesting stuff has been sold since then. Still lots of vintage motors around though.

Don

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127417

This is a Biesmeyer outboard. As I remember it was in nice shape.

This a Magnolia Cat. It didn't belong to Tim. It was in pretty rough shape.

I believe this is an Anthony Jet Cat.

These are some of the motors laying around. There were lots of them, mostly Mercs.

I won't identify what this one is, but let me say that I would never have expected to see one in the middle of a Wisconsin boat salvage yard. Turns out Tim didn't own that one either and shortly after I saw it was gone.
Most of the boats there now are pretty mundane, but the Mercs are still plentiful.

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127419

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I've bought trucks and boats from out of state several times and used to travel way too far to get them. In the last few years, I finally began to use my head.

Boats that are on a good roadworthy trailer are cheap to ship...hook up and go. The last one I bought was in northern New Jersey, about 800 miles from me. I sat down and made an honest estimate of what it would cost to go get it: right around $800 with gas, lodging, tolls, meals, etc...not to mention 3 long days on the road taking the risk of an accident as well as three days lost work. I did some calling around and got a price of $700 to have it delivered to my door, safe, sound and insured. So, I stayed home, earned money and four days later, it showed up in my driveway.

So, to answer the question, I'll drive about 100 miles tops. Anything further away I'll have delivered.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127421

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nautilus - that is great advice!...I will use my calculator before my emotions get the best of me.

Flying Fish - you are right! Good eye. I remember I was opening the hood of a merc 4 cylinder with Tim and the bees came out fast and angry. I did not think a guy in his mid 50's (me) could move so fast...Tim saw them first and yelled a heads up to "get out". No stings and we moved on. Nice guy. Like you said - lots of Mercs in the yard. I hope they don't bother him and let him keep the boat salvage yard...after all, it is in the woods and far away...and even right next door there is some sort of dirt racing tract facility...so how could he be much bother...he looks like he has been there forever.

I was at the Grantsburg World Championship Snowmobile watercross races and let that be my excuse to head over to Tim's. I had met him at the Tomahawk, Wi Antique Outboard Nationals. Nice guy and help to me. If you are looking for a boat, it was like a walk through time. Anytime someone can save a Glassic, I prefer to hear that rather than hearing of going to a dump, shredder, or anything that loses them forever.

Dr.Go!

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 2 weeks ago #127426

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
As far as it takes for the right boat and deal. But, it had better a a bizzare hull and killer deal to get me outa state. LOL

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127429

Because I wasn't prepared to make a drive Fresno to somewhere in Nebraska I had the Red Fish delivered. $600 bucks seemed fair and like was mentioned above I stayed home in my own bed with no exposure and time to work on my other projects. Kinda missed the road trip though.
Jack

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127431

I love the road trips but not everyone does. I like seeing different parts of the country. But meeting the former owner is the best part. Next week I am heading to Sacramento to pick up two motors (1888 miles) Then to Bend, Oregon to pick up a Glasspar Club Mariner. That whole trip is a little over 4000 miles.
Ron

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127437

Sounds like a great trip. Good luck and be safe.
Jack

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127439

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I would drive 1000 miles for the right boat, but when I got there I would find out bill a. just bought it. lol so I will just keep my lumi. greg

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127442

1950mi one way.

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127447

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Lots of miles and different approaches pursuing the "Hobby". Gotta love it or we wouldn't do it. No matter what method...if a person, family finds what they are looking for and eventually gets it on the water after the long journey on the road and the restoration, the reward of success must be all worth it. I am only half way there (just started after a 6 year "put it on hold circumstance"), I really want to reach that finish line. I cannot put a value on all of the help I have found here so far! Every finished boat I see encourages me to learn more and keep going.

Love these road trip stories. Lots of determination and perseverance out there.

Dr.Go!

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127456

Skagit17 wrote, "I live in western Washington and I almost drove to Wyoming to buy a boat..."

Forgive me if I should already know,...Where are you located? I'm in Shelton, WA 98584
doc

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127457

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Distance depends on where the McDonalds and Burger Kings are located. Plan your route carefully.

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127459

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

Skagit17 wrote, "I live in western Washington and I almost drove to Wyoming to buy a boat..."

Forgive me if I should already know,...Where are you located? I'm in Shelton, WA 98584
doc

Doc - I'm located just outside Cathlamet, so I guess it is more like SW Wa. :laugh: I drive through Shelton pretty regularly actually. The boat I was looking at was in Tensleep, WY, which is way off the beaten path!

20.5' 1966 ClipperCraft, 18' 1978 Olympic, and a 12' 1959 Elgin Car Top.

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127469

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Access to highways on both book-ends of a trip sometimes factor in for me. Though I live in the middle of nowhere from most. I made the decision to live next to an east/west and north/south highway system. That way - at least I can be on a highway in minutes in any direction to the other possible "nowhere" where rumor of a treasure lies :). As people of Wisconsin and Michigan know - sometime that big pond can take a short crow fly distance and make it a real long road trip. Mid state to Mid state can make a big loop out of it. My little boats can't handle a crossing...I suppose a ferry ride could work, but I never price factored that in.

Dr.Go!

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127481

I drove from Minneapolis to Boise, ID to pick up a boat and pull back home. A very good friend hauled it from Portland, OR to Boise for me. My drive over the Rocky Mountains was white knuckled in my two wheel drive 1/2 ton Ram pulling a 22 foot long cabin cruiser! It only snowed a little bit during that March drive!

I just adopted a boat that is located 2 1/2 hours west of Seattle. I figure 2,050 miles from home to go get her. I am just starting to check into having it shipped. So...if anyone has suggestions please let me know. The trailer under the boat would not make a 2,000 mile drive. So she needs to be put onto a flatbed trailer. She's a 19 foot outboard cabin cruiser. The boat, motor, and trailer probably weigh 2,200 pounds.

Andreas

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127483

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Skagit17 wrote:

Dr_Frankenmerc wrote:

doc

Doc - I'm located just outside Cathlamet, so I guess it is more like SW Wa. :laugh: I drive through Shelton pretty regularly actually. The boat I was looking at was in Tensleep, WY, which is way off the beaten path!

I'm 20 miles south the doc, but been through Tensleep on M/C road trips!

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127484

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
You people need to drag a 22' Formula through Brooklyn and over the cross-Bronx Expressway. How about $28 to cross the George Washington Bridge with a dual axle trailer?...15 million people, 2 million potholes, parkways that forbid trailers, etc., etc. That will cure you of road trips. It did me!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127491

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Snowy Mountains or Nautilus's big city nightmare...makes me think about professional big rig drivers/transport (and their insurance) if I ever go far or big city for a big rig dual axle cruiser. Guess we might have all been a bit crazy or daring a few times here and there.

Dr.Go!

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127503

Geez, I went from cape May to Long Island with just a 17 footer and it was a PIA going through city - that is a helluva trip with a 22 footer - esp if in SW Brooklyn! Close between cross bronx and BQE for worst roads in Metro NY area - and thats saying something!

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127509

I'm another Western WA guy-Centralia for me. There's a lot of water and a lot of boats in this state. I haven't bought my first boat yet but it would have to be something really special to get my to drive much over two hours one way to get it. But then, I'm halfway between Seattle and Portland too so I'm probably spoiled.
Rodney

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127526

Mmmm, reminds me of pulling a Hobie cat up the East coast through NYC to Long Island. 8' wide with 27' of mast strapped down and a flag hanging off the back... on 9/12/01... only a couple of hours after they re-opened all the bridges... talk about traffic!!! There was a huge plume of smoke visible for miles coming off the towers and into this gigantic, grey cloud. It was really cool at one point though, when traffic was standstill, bumper to bumper, a girl came walking down the street between the cars handing out little American flags. I had planned to sail out around the statue of liberty. But a little too intimidating with a battleship and an aircraft carrier anchored next to it... :(

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127529

This past June, I found my Hobie Cat H16 down in Seagrove Beach, FL. That's about 4 hours away from me, 8+ hours round trip. The drive there and back was a nice road trip. Took my Mother with me and we visited my Sis in DeFuniak Springs,Fl and saw my Dad also. It was a nice trip and the boat pulled so well I sometimes forgot it was even back there.
Good times!!!

Earlier in the summer, I made an 8 hour round trip to Valdosta, Ga to look at a Hobie Cat H14 Turbo I got down there and the boat didn't measure up to the pics the seller had sent me, so I passed on it, said have a good one, and drove home, all in a borrowed truck I might add because I didn't have a hitch on my vehicle, but I do now.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127535

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
THursday I left at 4;30 in the morn other than roads side stop, and didn't stop til I was at 390 miles to destination loaded boat ,top off fuel tank it hold 95 gal ,emptied me and was home at 5;30,390 the other way,for a boat I already had 2 of,but I wanted it,,it is usually easier to have shipped if they are too far,I have had a lot shipped in from west coast, but not cheap,

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127548

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Was that the Valli Bill?

Re:How far would you drive for your next boat? 8 years 1 week ago #127563

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
ya

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online