Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hawkeye D10D depth sounder problems

Hawkeye D10D depth sounder problems 8 years 2 weeks ago #127311

I installed this depth sounder on my 16 foot Fiberform fish boat about mid-summer, and have never got it working properly. It works when I launch for about 10 minutes, but once I'm going, the gauge just reverts to "- - -". The tech department is helpful, but realistically, what I get back is "keep on adjusting it on the transom." My transom is 17 degrees (top slanted toward the stern). Hawkeye provides a thick and a thin shim for adjustment, and there's no way to adjust the transducer angle without unscrewing it from the transom. (I added a mounting plate to eliminate too many holes) Neither shim changes anything, nor does no shim at all. I've followed the instructions to the letter. My hull planes very well and the nose lifts quite a bit, so I'm wondering if anyone else has run up against this problem. My next try will be both shims together and after that I may give up and just get a Faria.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hawkeye D10D depth sounder problems 8 years 2 weeks ago #127331

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Can you post a picture of the unit? I had a single small round Hawkeye sounder, cheap one and didn't have any problems. Got it on Amazon. Does it -- after you are running or if you are just standing still. Most units will stop reading at higher speeds, just can't keep up with the bottom echo's.

Re:Hawkeye D10D depth sounder problems 8 years 2 weeks ago #127363

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would not say that Faria is any better. I have two of them and one of those stopped working after a few months. I replaced it with a Hawkeye which works fine. Installation of either type involves shims. This is not a case for a shotgun approach, if either one or both shims together don't get the transducer angle specified in the instructions, you will have to improvise. I added small SS washers under the shims stuck on with 5200, for example.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online