• Page:

TOPIC: Engine hoist Boat lift

Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 3 weeks ago #127105

• ultraclyde
  • ultraclyde's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
The factory hull weight on my Chaparral was 700lbs. The 85HP Evinrude on it is around 250lbs.

Can I use a standard 2 ton engine hoist connected to the lift ring on the top of the motor block to pick up the back of the boat off the trailer? Or is that too much stress on the transom and/or the motor lift point?

What about rigging a bridle strap to both rear tie down eyes and lifting from there?

I'm thinking of picking the boat up one end at a time and blocking under it to get the trailer out. Leave the boat sitting on a rack of sorts while I refinish the bottom.

Dumb idea or has this been done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127113

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
"rigging a bridle strap to both rear tie down eyes and lifting from there?

I'd say fine BUT! Also do a ratchet strap under the hull also. Just jack up the boat one side at a time (if ya can't get a clean shot the hull)and then all 3 (motor lift ring too) and go for it. Remove trailer, and set boat on blocks and take the stress off.

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127114

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Not dumb at all.
I've done that many times with the tie down rings. I wouldn't take a chance on the motor lift ring. It might hold but I don't think it was designed for more weight.
I use two nylon straps but a strong rope would do also, one connected to each eye and then join them above the motor with a clevis. I do have a 2 ton hoist that I can hang from an I beam in the basement. I pull up the back and block it and then raise the bow using a strap and the bow eye. Pull the trailer out while it's hanging and then you can block up the bow.
Good idea to raise the motor in the up position just in case there might be an oooops.
Looks kind cool to have your boat hanging in mid air :laugh:

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127115

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I used the motor lift ring to pick up the back of the boat. No issues at all. I used a heavy eye hook lagged into the header over my garage door (I leave it there for use from time to time) to lift the front of the boat, then the engine lift on the back. This makes it really easy to slide the trailer out. Once the trailer is out, lower the boat onto heavy duty dollies with polystyrene as a cushion and you can push the boat where ever you want.
Attachments:

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127118

If you use boat hardware to lift any weight - be sure they don't look like this ( see photo ) on the inside where you can't see it. A lot of tow eyes on boats look like this one and people don't realize it.
Attachments:

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127119

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ditto Bruce, Those eyes are nothing more than steel eye bolts molded into a chrome plated fancy schmancy. I took a torch to one once and the pot metal just melted right off.

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127130

Make sure you hardware is not compromised. This is a swing frame. I picked it up off in back and drove the trailer out untiol the front was all that was left on it. I put this bunch of stuff under it temporarily. As you can see it was not heavy duty stuff. Boat was flipped after this. I'd take the motor off myself. It's easy with an engine crane.
Attachments:

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127186

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Why risk your boat hardware at all? I have lifted small light boats by the handles and bow eye but when the rig gets up toward 1000 lbs, I am more cautious.

If you already have a chain hoist and a place to lift from, I would use a sling lift. A tow strap from Harbor Freight is only $12 and is good for 2000 lbs. Just loop it under the hull and onto the hook of the hoist. No worries about compromising the hardware or risking dropping the hull.

JerryF
Attachments:

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127187

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great way to do it Jerry but I would strongly suggest an 'evener' on that sling to take the pressure off the gunwales.
Attachments:

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127193

63 saber - smart advice! A spreader is key, especially for long term storage. I was going to mention thatI have seen people put a strap around the engine and lift the aft section by the engine. The transom is obviously strong enough and it spreads the load out so that it isn't concentrated on one point on the hull with the motor pulling down against it.

20.5' 1966 ClipperCraft, 18' 1978 Olympic, and a 12' 1959 Elgin Car Top.

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127231

I don't want to hijack this post, but how did you "flip" the boat over? I've got an 18' that I need to do exactly what you've done (to the bottom) and I'd like to know the easiest (read: less likely to damage something) way to turn the boat upside down.

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127294

Hi C500,

I made one of these a few years back ?
This can give you a few ideas...

fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/flipping-a-hull-with-the-deck-off#76164

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127297

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
What I did to flip it was to get very heavy duty eye bolts, sandwich 3/4 plywood on either side of the transom, and put the bolt though the drain hole for the splashwell. Hook that up to the cherry picker on the back of the boat, another cherry picker at the front on the hook of the bow with a rope, and slowly tip her over! My daughter and I did this and it worked great!

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/member-projects/larson-lapline-all-american/page-3#126301

Re:Engine hoist Boat lift 8 years 2 weeks ago #127299

Thanks, guys. I was trying to reinvent the wheel. Your ideas will make this a really simply task.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online