Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Red Rub Rail

Red Rub Rail 14 years 1 month ago #12709

Just found a 1959 MFG Celoron in a barn here in Maine. Rubrail needs to be replaced. It is brick red rubber with a metal insert. Anybody out there know where to find some? I've looked on line and asked around to no avail. Thanks, Paul
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Red Rub Rail 14 years 1 month ago #12710

The big supplier used here, WEFCO Rubber in Canoga Park, CA only provides, Black, gray or white. If you send them a cut away they can see if they match the mold as they have thousands of dies available. Never seen one with a metal insert.

Re:Red Rub Rail 14 years 1 month ago #12748

I had that almost excat rubrail made for at Wefco. Now as Brain said I do not know if they have your color but they have the dye set up and can make you the rubrail. I had to make my own metal insert.

D

Re:Red Rub Rail 14 years 1 month ago #13102

Thanks for the responses. I contacted WEFCO and they can make it but only in black or white. Set up charge fair, but out of my price range.

Re:Red Rub Rail 13 years 9 months ago #20956

I have that exact same boat with the exact same rub rail. I am going to need to take the rub rails off in order to restore the wood, and it's possible that when I do it will fall apart. I can tell it's fairly brittle.

What did you end up doing or getting?

Re:Red Rub Rail 13 years 9 months ago #20983

My rib rail was all cracked and drid out but still flexable to a point. I use my sander with some 80 grit and sanded the hell out of it and got all the cracked and dried off it came out almost looking like new. heres a pic of before and after sanding. I know this won't help you but might help somebody else.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Attachments:

Re:Red Rub Rail 13 years 9 months ago #20994

pathfinderz1, on the contrary, that will be useful to me if I'm able to preserve the original. Thanks!

Re:Red Rub Rail 13 years 9 months ago #20995

herters59, so you have any specific contact info or an order number I can reference if I contact WEFCO? Thanks.

Re:Red Rub Rail 13 years 9 months ago #20996

Last time I was in Lowe's I was looking at some angle aluminum from which I plan to make skid fins for the Glen-L Missile. As I recall they had flat stock aluminum like the metal insert shown in varous widths and thicknesses. WEFCO has always been great to deal with as far as I'm concerned. Best thing to do is find a few others that need that rub rail and share the setup expense.

Re:Red Rub Rail 13 years 9 months ago #21005

Gee sorry I did not keep any paper work for a reference. If you send the picture of the red rubrail they maybe able to figure it out.
Del

Re:Red Rub Rail 13 years 9 months ago #21075

You might be able to bring your rubrail back if it is only stiff adn not all broken up... Get a bottle of Lestoil Cleaner at your local grocery store cleaning section.

Whipe down the rub-rail with the lestoil applied with a rag eveery night for a week or two.. the lestoil will slowly soak in and freshen the rubber up. DO NOT soak or DUNK the rubber in lestoil, or else you will ruin it, but whiping it down every night,restores old hardened ruber and makes the pieces plyable again.

Re:Red Rub Rail 13 years 9 months ago #21077

crosbyboat wrote:

Last time I was in Lowe's I was looking at some angle aluminum from which I plan to make skid fins for the Glen-L Missile. As I recall they had flat stock aluminum like the metal insert shown in varous widths and thicknesses. WEFCO has always been great to deal with as far as I'm concerned. Best thing to do is find a few others that need that rub rail and share the setup expense.

Brian, I have a 6' piece of 2" aluminum angle I was going to use as a transom cap, but never did. What size angle are you looking at?

In general, for most any kind of quantity of metal in longer sizes than you find at Lowes or Home Depot, try Metal Supermarkets. We have one in Albany I buy lots of aluminum and steel at. You will ALWAYS get a better price than a building supply store.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7856 guests and no members online