Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Span America Experts--Help!

Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 4 weeks ago #126854

I'm baffled by a few things we've discovered while trying to restore our Span America.

We are the third owners of the boat. A bill of sale when the second owner purchased it from a dealer in 1972 describes it as:
1. 1960 Span American (not Span America)
2. 18' long
3. Powered by an INBOARD 283 Chevrolet motor with a a Velvet Drive transmission.

Here's why I'm baffled:
1. Tracking down casting numbers on the block, heads, manifolds, etc., we discovered the engine is actually a 1967 high performance 327 Corvette.
1. After reviewing everything on this website I can find about Span America's, and also in searching the web, I can't find a single reference or indication that Span America ever built a straight inboard boat. They did build I/O's.
2. In reviewing Span America brochures (thank goodness for those on this website)I can't find a model in ANY year (1960 onward) that is configured like our boat. The closest is a 1960 Span Shore model. While the hull looks to be the same, the seating arrangement is completely different (ours even has mahogany trim around the seats.) It also has stainless trim tabs and a stainless platform off the transom which I first thought was a swim platform but now think is to somehow flatten the prop wake.
3. Our boat is also a V-drive, not a straight shaft inboard, but the V-Drive is not a part of the transmission. It's an unusual but in a way, very creative arrangement.

Here's where I need help. My plan was to restore this boat to its original condition, but I don't know what that was and can't find anything on the web to help me. Now I'm beginning to wonder if this was a one-off experimental model Span America created, or if some enterprising person sometime in the boat's past decided to turn it into a tournament style ski boat.

Does anyone have any ideas or comments? Am I overlooking some resource somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 4 weeks ago #126869

Well, I'm certainly no Span America authority, but it sounds to me like someone installed that whole powertrain sometime before '72. If it functions well and you're happy with it, I see no reason to de-modify it back to original.
But if it were mine, I think I'd make some '67 Vette restorers YEAR by selling him that engine! Should net enough green to replace it with a new 350, (or other engine of your choice) with plenty left over ;)
Just my thoughts...

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 4 weeks ago #126882

I would enjoy pictures of that boat as it sounds pretty rare or possibly a one off design that they were attempting. Span America was built in Fort Dodge, Iowa back in the late 50's. There were quite a few in that area bavk in the day. I've inly seen two IO Spans from the mid 60's.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 4 weeks ago #126894

I chuckled when I read your comment about selling the engine. We pretty much decided the engine needed to be in a Vette, not in this boat, so I posted it on a Corvette website. You're right, we would end up with enough "green" to easily put in a new 350.

Thanks for your comment.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 4 weeks ago #126895

I've tried to upload pictures but can't make it work. I think I used too high a resolution on my camera when I took the pictures and the system won't allow them.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 4 weeks ago #126896

i usually take pictures with my iPhone and then email them to my account. As part of that process Apple nicely asks me if I want to resize the pictures, and I usually select medium for the size. I can then upload the pictures without issue. If you have the pictures on your PC, you should be able to edit and resize them. I think under 1500 pixels works.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126911

Is this boat have lap strike sides ? or is it the narrow center boat? I live in fort dodge and have never sean a io that was bilt hear. but I may be wrong. see if you can some how git the pictcher up on the board and we mite be able to help you . Bob

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126917

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I can do. I use a Samsung (Android) phone so I'll need to experiment.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126919

No, this boat isn't lapstrake. I'm not sure what you mean by "narrow center." I thought I saw a brochure somewhere showing an I/O as an option, but I've never seen anything where Span America offered a straight inboard, like this is.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126929

Welcome aboard.

Photos will be very helpful.

Is there anything ON or IN the boat to indicate the manufacturer and location? Something that came from the manufacturer at the time of construction. An ID tag, badge, sticker, plate????? Paperwork for old boats is notorious for being inaccurate. Maybe it's not a Span American or Span America boat after all???

"Savage American Boats" of Reynoldsville, PA had some type of license agreement with Span to use their design. Savage made boats for a few short years in the 1960s.

Shafar Company in Iowa made boats for a few years and it had some of the same family owners as had previously owned Span America Boat Co. when it was in Fort Dodge, Iowa.

Mariner Boats of Red Wing, MN were copies of Span America boats when Span America and Red Wing Fiberglass Products were located at Red Wing, MN and owned by the same people.

Andreas

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126961

Interesting Boat
I agree with andreas that pictures would be helpful.

Most of the old sea dogs on this site know I am the Span guy and I have owned over 25 of them to date. In the last 10yrs I have seen about everything they ever made that still floats or is a lawn planter. As for Span America ever building a V Drive it never happened and in fact the first I/O was designed by Bart H according to his son Dirk. It was the Le saber with a OMC stringer drive in 63 which they soon dropped and went mercruiser after a deal was cut between Bart and Carl at a boat show in 63. Dirk and I owned a 1963 20' Span Offshore with a V6 and stringer drive and that was the biggest power they ever had. Also all the boats built prior to 63 were all outboard powered. As for the Shore model it to was outboard powered. All the hulls including the Empress were super thin and would never handle a v drive. All there strength was in the keel so it would have taken a huge redesign to do that to one. I have seen some pretty innovative stuff that people do over the last 40yrs so you maybe right that someone built your boat. BUT being that everyone was on the boat building band wagon in the 60s some company may have popped a mold off a span hull like Shafar did. He was with the original group of owners but went off on his own for a short stent. I know of one of those to still exist today. So you really should post some pictures so we can see what you have. There is a wealth of knowledge with the guys on this site and I am sure someone can help you identify it.
I actually came here today to get there help as I have a odd ball boat I can't figure out who made it.
Bob

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126965

Bob has helped me with the identification of my model of Span America, if he can't call it, nobody can, :)
Good to see ya on here again Bob.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126970

Hey Marty,
Hope ya got that treasure of yours in the water this year. I have only been out once so far but going to take some Lumi's out this weekend for a rip. Oh and 3 more rare spans popped up this summer so I am getting quite a list of span boat owners across the nation. Last one came up today and it was family owned since new. Sad thing is they want to sell it. Its a deal like yours too, Garage kept pristine boat. I have 50 boats or more now so can't buy it or I would.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126973

Wow, thanks for the information, ToyBox. As for pictures, I'm going to take new photos (at lower resolution) this coming week and see if I can get them to post. I'm well into the "deconstruction" phase so you may need to use your imagination about how some things all go together.

I'm virtually certain it is a Span America hull, not only because of the 1972 sales receipt which identifies it as such, but also because of the Span America decals there were on the side of the boat. Based on your information, the only logical conclusion is that some enterprising soul modified it. For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would spend that much time and money creating a v-drive inboard when he/she could have bought a Century, Nautique, or a dozen other boats that were out there at the time. It isn't just the installation of the v-drive, it's all the other modifications that somebody did. Whoever did it, didn't pinch pennies.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #126974

Well I can tell you that I have seen some odd stuff in 40yrs so I am not surprised at hearing this. Now In 1960 Span made a utility boat that had a box in the middle of it to use for tools or a cooler. I have one here that was about toast and a guy got it from me and put a jetski motor and jet in it. It was odd as hell but cool. He used a 800cc tiger shark engine and drive. He said it went well though the water and I know others that have made jet boats out of these. Now ya talk about odd so see a outboard boat going through the water with no motor. I will look and see if I have a picture of one. Now you said Decals, I make all the span boat decals and know what years they are used. If you look as Martys profile pic that is the correct decal for 1961 and 1962. IF you have something different let me know and I will post some options it could be. I do know that what ever was left at the factory in the spring of 68 went into the trash. The molds were sold off as cattle feeders I was told. Another person told me the just went to the dump.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 3 weeks ago #127086

Hey Bob, don't want to hijack this post, but to reply to your statement about getting the boat in the water this year, no I haven't gotten her in the water yet. The motor turns, just need to replace the impeller and gear oil. Haven't had much time to do anything with her. Most of the work at the cabin has been completed and hopefully I can get her in the water before the lake level drops. I've also been a little sidetracked with a Hobie Cat 16. It's been a fun summer for sure. Not meaning to hijack like I said and I hope the boat in question can be identified. Happy Boating!!!!

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127233

I'm trying to upload pictures and not having any success. I may (probably) am doing something incorrectly. Are there instructions somewhere?

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127250

You may need to resize the pics.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127251

Attention "Thompson Boats"!!!!

Tell me more about the "Savage American Boats" you mention above!!

My name is Jim Savage!!! Maybe I am part of that firm, but I had never heard of it in my 50+ years of boating!!! My Savage family originated in Missouri!

Jim Savage
Crawfordville, Florida
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127267

To finish up on my part of this thread. Here is a 1960 Span America Utility which is the same hull as the VIP and the biggest boat made in 1960 that was a runabout. As mentioned I sold one of these years ago and a guy make it inboard jet drive from a 800 tiger shark. So if your hull looks like this that would be interesting to know. I have yet to see pictures of your boat so please share some.
Bob
Attachments:

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127300

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127303

These aren't the best pictures, but hopefully they help.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127306

It could be a Span shore or blazer hull but it was never a v hull boat as seen in the pics. It was a outboard boat. I would have to say this is a interesting, crafty mod. Best I can tell you is go to the brochures and get the dimensions off the models and start measuring. that will tell you what you have. I had to do that myself this weekend on my Magnolia Cat and was surprised at what I found out. SO you do have a Span America but the oddest one out there lol
Bob

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127325

Thanks, Bob. I've been kind of waffling on whether to restore it or junk it. But in as much as it is the "oddest one out there" I think I'll restore it to how it was when I bought it. It may not be "original", but it will be unique! As I mentioned before, whomever did the modifications, didn't spare $$. And it isn't just the boat, trailer is almost "over the top" with custom gadgets. Get this, I removed the carpeting on the trailer bunks and every nail holding the carpet in place has a little tiny anchor cast into the nail head. I've never seen anything like them. Once again, thanks for your insight and help.

Re:Span America Experts--Help! 8 years 2 weeks ago #127354

Put it back together the way it was just to mess with people and get some new span boats decals from me. it will be one heck of a conversation piece. THe vette motor wold have been cool to leave in there but you can find another one pretty check these days. 283s are easy to find and 350s as well. Better yet get some of the demo truck stacks lol.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online