• Page:

TOPIC: Newbie needs help

Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126570

• SCChris
  • SCChris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Just bought the '64 Starcraft pictured below - 16'-65 HP Mercury outboard, one owner boat. In beautiful shape, always kept indoors. The previous owner had everything checked and tuned prior to my taking posession. Question is, the motor could use a new prop. The old prop is a 2 blade. I called a prop website and asked for help but got none. The boat will be used as a cruiser, not to ski behind. Looking for an aluminum 3 blade that is a good all around run-a-bout prop. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126573

What is the pitch of your old prop? Brass or aluminum??

Jim Savage

Re: Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126604

• SCChris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
2 Blade aluminum, pitch unknown, no markings on the prop. Looks to be the original prop.

Re: Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126611

I have a 1963 merc 500 with a pretty much brande new 3 blade aluminum prop. would make you a smokin deal on it. will have to get pitch info off of it

Re: Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126631

• SCChris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Let me know when you find the info and what you want for it.

Re: Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126637

I don't know about the props, but congrats on getting a beautiful boat!

Re:Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126663

Looks like an 11 pitch. Pictures don't really show condition, Doesn't look like it has ever been in the water. Now comes the part where you low ball me because I don't have any need for it and would rather it go to someone who needs it

Re:Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126683

• SCChris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Just send me an email with the price you are asking. I hate negotiating on a forum.

Re:Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126694

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Stop the presses, a 50hp prop won't fit a 65hp! The 50 prop is absolutely the wrong size.

You need a prop that fits a 65hp 4-cyl, 75-85hp 4-cyl, or 85-150hp Inline Six.

You can retrofit any "modern" prop meant for the above by having the right combination of spacers and prop hub washers.

The main thing is you want to get a prop that's right for the boat/motor combination. If the 2-bladed prop has a decent hole shot and the top speed is good, then you'll want to replace it with a prop of same pitch or maybe 1" less.

If the motor revs too high, you need to go with a prop with 1" or 2" more pitch.

If you have a tach installed, that's the best way to check, just run the boat WOT (Wide Open Throttle), note rpm obtained.

Prop pitch will be stamped into the body (as pictured in the previous post) or sometimes you'll find it on the rear hub after you remove the prop nut/locking ring.

Some older motors have a square shoulder on the propshaft, where the prop thrusts against. If your is like this, you'll need a spacer which is still available, to fit a later-style prop.

If you have a beveled shoulder, all you'll need is the newer-style flat thrust hub.

Anyway, let us know what you have and then we can figure it out.

HTH......ed

Re:Newbie needs help 8 years 1 month ago #126706

I probably should have realized that, It just so happens that I have a 65 horse just like the one on your boat and it has a 3 blade prop. I don't see anything stamped in it with a quick glance so I may have to remove it to find what pitch it is when I get the time tomorrow. It isn't as nice looking as the other one but it is still in fair condition. Would trade for the two blade prop if it ends up being something you could use

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online