Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Larson Playboy

1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126546

Recently acquired a 1959 Larson Playboy boat. Original boat, motor and trailer. Does anyone know of restoration companies that make parts for these boats? And what would one of these boats sell for fully restored?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126571

Welcome aboard!

There are no restoration companies where you can get parts. You may be able to find used hardware via eBay or craigs list or Antique & Classic Boat Society and Antique Outboard Motor Club swap meets. Folks on this forum and similar classic boat and motor forums might have old parts on a shelf.

What are you seeking?

Andreas

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126581

Seeking the mirror that sits in front of the winshield and the snap on bimini top(just the top, I have the frame.)

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126584

Upholstry shop should be able to remake the bimini.

The mirror was likely added by the dealer at time of original purchase or any subsequent owner in the last 56 +/- yrs.

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126600

Would anyone have a picture of what one of those bimini tops look like on those boats? I know it snaps onto the top of the windshield. Would be good to have to take to the upholstery shop and have them make it as close to original as possible.

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126602

Probably something like this:

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126681

Close enough! Thanks!

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126686

Thompson - Sweet looking rig!! I am partial to Thompson's as that is what my dad had when I was growing up

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126689

Here is the PlaBoy image from the 1958 Larson catalog. Also, the shot of the All-American in both soft and hard top models. The tops were pretty much the same throughout the lineup. The top on my 1959 Thunderhawk is a shortened version, just covering the two front seats. It still has the original Larson tag on it as it came from the factory. The boat is pictured in my profile. Hope that these will help. The images from either of the 1959 catalogs are rather fuzzy.

Lee Wangstad
Attachments:

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 1 month ago #126769

the bottom pic is the one I needed. Thanks! I have the original bimini top frame but have to have someone make a top for it.

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 4 weeks ago #126846

I have the same boat! I am 53 years old and my father bought it new in 59. It was the first boat I ever drove. I am about to restore it and already have all the chrome redone. As to the mirror. I can tell you for sure that it was added by the dealer because ours had one too and my dad said it was again, a dealer ad. So it did not come from the factory that way. My dad wanted it because he did a lot of water skiing and the driver could also watch the skiers. That's the theory anyway, I doubt it worked very well. The only part I need is the passenger rear chrome piece that wraps around the corner.
I think it is a beautiful boat and quite stylish for the times. My dad said it was a top of the line boat. Not sure about that. It is white with blue trim. It originally had a 50 HP Johnson motor and was quite peppy with it. It could also pull 4 skiers! I have pics to prove it. Try doing that with an average IO runabout.

I bought the white bumper trim that goes all the way around. It is still available but I can't remember the name. But I will need it again as the stuff I bought got in a flood and stained. When I come up with the name I will let you know. I also recently bought the Playboy decals. Cant believe it but some company sells them. I will let you know about that too because that is the biggest find!

I live in the Chicago area, boat is in Southern Wisconsin, 100 miles north. I would love to see your boat but I guess your in South Carolina. Maybe we can exchange pics.

Re:1959 Larson Playboy 8 years 3 weeks ago #127097

Sounds good. I'm in the process of getting the motor running now. I want to put it on the water first and then begin the restoration process. Paint is faded and only needs one piece of upholstery fixed and make a bimini top for it. The mirror is rusted and needs a new mirror piece put in(I've been told a local shop can do that for me.) Other than that it shouldn't be a bad restoration. I'm 37 years old and this boat belonged to a family member that passed away. I'm not real motor savvy so I'm trying my best to do this myself.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online