Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My little Arkansas Traveler - looking for opinions

My little Arkansas Traveler - looking for opinions 8 years 1 month ago #126473

First off I want to say hi. Since I was about 10 I've wanted to buy and fix up an old boat. Don't know why, just have wanted to do it. Problem was never had the time or money order space for it. But now that I'm much older I went and just did it, I bought an old boat. I had know idea of its age at the time or anything, but I liked it's looks. The wife was pissed but eventually came around, especially since I bought it for next to nothing.

My original plan was to get the motor working, fix and clean up the hull, and replace the interior. It is small so it should be easy right? Wrong, so plans changed a bit after doing some research and getting the wife's input. When I found out the motor was a bit older than me and the hull was about 10 years older than I thought the wife told me some of what is going to happen. She said fix it up, do the interior as I want, but "put a new motor on it". So I figured she meant a newer motor, so I started looking for a good newer outboard. She was like what are you doing, "I said a NEW motor". So I told her what that will cost, and I got the okay. A little background on my wife, she's cheap, cheaper than me and I'm cheap. But who the heck am I to argue with the wife on that? So I'll be buying a new outboard some time this winter.

So here is where I am, I can only work on the boat here and there but okay, I'll deal with it. I found out that the boat is an Arkansas Traveler, built in 1960. It's a Comet model, and not very original. So I sold the motor, thrashed the rotting seats, faux grass rug, and the cracked and not correct windshield. I even found a matching pair of deck cleats so the boat will have four factory cleats. I pressure washed part of the hull and the good news is that it is in better shape than first thought. But here's where I am going to need advice.

1- Where might I either find an original windshield or a custom one without breaking the bank.

2- looking for color ideas, I want to change the color and would like to hear from the masses for some possible color scheme ideas.

3- what are people's favorite products for hull care? I.E. cleaning, filling, painting, protecting, etc.?

4- interior should I just paint it, or add some flooring of some kind?

Thanks, Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:My little Arkansas Traveler - looking for opinions 8 years 1 month ago #126478

Welcome aboard
Sounds like a great little project not to mention wife. Pictures will give everyone something to work with regard to your request for input.

Jack

Re:My little Arkansas Traveler - looking for opinions 8 years 1 month ago #126479

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
My second boat long ago was a '60 traveler. 14' with a 40hp Evinrude. Red topside on white hull, small but just right for a beginner. A real fun boat.
Good luck with your project. Would like to see some pictures.
Attachments:

Re:My little Arkansas Traveler - looking for opinions 8 years 1 month ago #126488

Yeah my little Traveler is a 1960 Comet model, its light blue on top on a white hull. Looks like it had an Evenrude originally, but when I got it it had a 1968 Merc but it was in very rough shape so I got rid of it.

As far as pictures I tried to add some, but it didn't work out. I'll try again later.

Thanks
Attachments:

Re:My little Arkansas Traveler - looking for opinions 8 years 1 month ago #126495

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
That's the one! Brings back lotsa memories. Same style motor too.

Re:My little Arkansas Traveler - looking for opinions 8 years 1 month ago #126608

1960 Rocket, 14-ft. with 40HP Johnson. Completed a few years ago.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Re:My little Arkansas Traveler - looking for opinions 8 years 1 month ago #126614

Wow she's a real looker. I hope that my "Lil' Comet" looks half as good, when I'm done.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online