Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: roll & tip or air paint gun ?

roll & tip or air paint gun ? 8 years 1 month ago #126374

Hola!

I want to know because i can do it with either method and i thought about using roll tipping to prevent paint atmosphere spread around the area if there much of a difference between both at all.

I'm gonna be using this on a 16 feet fiberglass canoe, which i already sanded with 120grits and did 2 coats of primer with roll using rustoleum marine, now i want to sand the primer to fix some visible epoxy marks under the primer and someone told me to use 1500p grits over the primer but not sure if that's the right way to do it

if i roll and tip should i sand each coat of paint and which type of sanding grades should i do, Thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:roll & tip or air paint gun ? 8 years 1 month ago #126377

After helping others roll and tip a few boats I really don't see any reason why I would use this method on my boat. Seems to me to be a lot more work, especially if you have the ability to spray the finish. Just offering my opinion. If someone would provide some advantages of the roll and tip method I would be intrested as well. - Terry

Re:roll & tip or air paint gun ? 8 years 1 month ago #126378

If you have the equipment, experience and facility I would definitely spray rather than roll and tip.

Re:roll & tip or air paint gun ? 8 years 1 month ago #126383

16Again wrote:

If you have the equipment, experience and facility I would definitely spray rather than roll and tip.

Thanks both of you for clarifying.
besides that for coats and sanding, should i do 4 coats of paint and sand each coat with a different water sandpaper grit, for example: coat 1=600p, 2= 800p, 3=1000p and 4=1500p or is there a better way

Re:roll & tip or air paint gun ? 8 years 1 month ago #126391

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I've done both and I lean more to the roll and tip. Spraying if you are really good at gives a good finish but can get pretty pricey and messy depending on what kind of paint you use.
Your method of roll and tip seems a bit excessive. I've found that you can get a very high gloss finish using Rustoleum gloss thinned and then an off the shelf hardener (additive)usually 2 coats. Let it dry for 24 hours and use a 600 grit wet/dry with a soft backer block. This will take down any streaks then maybe some 1500 lightly afterwards. Finish this with a buffer and polish, I use Mcquires(sp)and keep it wet with a water spray bottle while using a foam pad on the buffer. I've had people swear the finish was sprayed and couldn't believe it was brushed.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online