• Page:

TOPIC: Bimini Top

Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126360

• ultraclyde
  • ultraclyde's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
One of my prerequisites for buying a boat was the ability to run a bimini top for shade. Here in Central Georgia, shade is a key component of boat usability. I finally got the top installed this weekend:

The top is a cheap Amazon purchase from Leader industries. It uses off-brand Sunbrella-imitation fabric, 1" aluminum tubing and plastic joints. It seems pretty well built and should be fine for a boat that's trailer stored in a garage. Best of all, it was $145 with free shipping. And it matches the boat and came with a zip-on boot and all the hardware to install it.

I also installed a Blue Sea Systems 6 circuit covered fuse panel to replace the exposed glass-tube fuses that were there. I threw the exposed panel in to get the boat running but wasn't happy with it from a safety perspective. Also put in the correct size, gigantamous battery. Now I have a group 27 dual purpose 75Ah juice box, and I'm taking the old 30Ah unit as a spare.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126373

I have the same brand top on my '59 Holiday. May not be the most attractive setup for my boat but it sure is hard to beat for the money. Seems to be of decent quality.

Re:Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126380

I should be ready for one of those in 2 more months. I may hit you boys up to see how they're holding up ;)

Re:Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126395

• ultraclyde
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
It would look better if it were a little shorter and had the old-school C-pillar style rear canvas corners, but I can stand up under this and I'm 6'1". Besides, the old tri hull's not exactly a beauty queen. I'm just happy that I could find one in beige canvas. Brown and beige seems to be out of fashion for boat accessories, and I'm fairly certain I'll never find brown gel coat to match repairs. Marine shag carpet's getting scarce too. : :woohoo:

Re:Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126401

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Color choices aside, I think the Bimini products on Amazon are an excellent value. I got one (brand MSC) that is 8 ft long, 4 bows, 1" poles (inc rear support poles) with cover, all for $159 ... free shipping, no tax. It is rated for speeds up to 45mph and seems plenty sturdy to me.

JerryF B)
Attachments:

Re:Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126404

• ultraclyde
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
MSC was my original choice, but the beige was out of stock in the size i needed. I wanted the rear support poles instead of straps, but I can always ad them later. Mine's rated to the same speed but since the boat tops out at 30 I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

That 8 footer looks good on your boat. I considered going with the 4 bow but it's even taller than the one I bought and my boat's only 15' long anyway...

Re:Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126432

Hey Jr if it were 2' shorter it would look a lot cooler and make the boat look a lot longer, of course you would have to duct but us vertically challenged folks would have no problem. It really does look great on the Sun liner and I love the color.

Re:Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126446

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
16Again wrote:

Hey Jr if it were 2' shorter it would look a lot cooler and make the boat look a lot longer, of course you would have to duct but us vertically challenged folks would have no problem. It really does look great on the Sun liner and I love the color.

Jack, your new Glasspar Avalon bimini looks super nice. As for mine, I really like the long top but it is a bit taller than even I would need. For the price tho, I think it was a bargain and I am quite happy with it.

JerryF

Re:Bimini Top 8 years 1 month ago #126450

Can't see what keeps you for shortening if you really want too.

Thanks. I like it also although I wish it were original for that boat.

Jack

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online