Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American

Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126085

Hi all - newbie here - I was hoping to get some opinions on a 1973 Starcraft American. It has really low hours on the 140HP IO and was our family boat for years (no way of knowing, but short summers and long years without use would lead me to believe). In the early 90s we got a competition ski boat and couldn't bare to get rid of the Starcraft so we kept it in the barn and would bring it out for special occasions. Interior is great, floor is great - kept on a cradle in a boathouse when not in use.

Anyway - my parents are selling their lakehouse in central WI. None of the siblings have any use/room for it and we are wondering what to do with it. It breaks our hearts because it has so much sentimental value. My question is: is this a desirable boat? Would it be something that a hobbyist would appreciate? It's red hull/white deck, 16ft, closed bow and has the coolest white fastback soft top (we put it on once just to check it out).

It feels wrong to throw it on craigslist but you know, it's special to us but that doesn't mean it's anything special to anyone else. Just thought I would ask for some opinions. Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126086

Will try to post some pictures today...

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126094

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I can only believe that at least the people that I have met on here really understand that sentimental connection with family memories. I see people who buy boats and even make them like brand new again with just fixing any little thing that may no longer work. I also have seen people here go and pick up the original owners and take them out for a nice time on the water out of appreciation that they took such good care of the boat and to show them it is STILL being well kept for. I am like that too. I sell to people like that and when I bought my 50 year old boat, I treat it like I bought it new. Hopefully others here can chime in. Perhaps you can find the right local person who will love that boat as your family did...and even maybe bring it out to your "Special Lake or River" when your family gathers so that you all can see it carry on for another family's memories. The hardest thing is to see something you had be forgotten and turned to junk. That happened to a motorcycle I have forever that was customized and perfect through 4 owners (my brother, then me, then my brother again, then a friend...then to the I don't care person)...when I saw it I nearly cried and had to just walk away...rusted and lost forever.

Glad you posted here for other peoples advice (mine is just my thoughts).

Dr.Go!

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126096

That's exactly it. To see this boat sitting in a field like a piece of junk is something that I can't fathom. At the same time they need it gone by the middle of September, so finding the best home for it will be tough in that timeframe. Anyway, it's in remarkable shape for it's age and was an iconic cruiser in the early 70s - it's actually really fast surprisingly - walks away from my Mastercraft like it's standing still, even giving up 200HP!

Thanks for the note - praying I will find it a home where it is appreciated. Wish I could keep it but 3 small kids mess up everything...

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126100

Fletch - post some more pictures. I know someone who is looking to get into an i/o, and they might like the look of your boat. How much are you looking for if you sell it? The guy is a wrencher and car guy, so he will take care of your baby.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126102

Striton - thanks a lot. I don't have too many pics and the boat is currently 1000 miles away from me. My dad sent a few last night when he was at the barn. They aren't great but I am headed up to WI (from Atlanta) Friday to help get the place cleared out. I can take more then. It's really clean and complete.

I have no clue on value - any suggestions on here?
Attachments:

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126103

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
p.s. I want to go boating where that picture was taken :)

That is a nice looking boat for the right person/family!

Dr.Go!

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126104

I am going to take the 5th as I cannot be considered an impartial appraiser. See if you can get a value off of KBB as a starting point. Really hard to tell without good pics of the interior and hull. I always like to look for "rubble rash" on the keel in case the previous owner liked to park it on rock shores..... ;)

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126106

Thanks - I understand. We never beached at the lake it's lived on it's whole life (came with the house in 1984 and had sat in the boathouse for 5 years) - had a dock/boathouse and it was a small lake so nowhere to go. The top picture was taken the summer I dragged it out to Colorado - Grand Lake. Beautiful cruising up there.

Anyway, I will get some pictures of the interior posted, engine. My dad is not that great of a photographer. He did send a pic of the stern drive - original unit that was rebuilt a few times.
Attachments:

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126119

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Nothing wrong with posting on Craigslist. I've bought a few off that site from sellers with health problems and estate clearance situations. Just don't answer the offers from Nigerian Princes that will give you a check and have their "courier" pick up the boat :laugh:

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126126

Wait, you mean the son of the exiled king I wired money too might not be who he says he is?!? NOOOOO!!! They were so close to getting their birthright back and retaking Westeros...

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126138

The lake I grew up on in Iowa had a Starcraft dealer and they were very popular back in the decade of the seventies. It's my opinion that most of the popular brands back in that time frame were of similar quality. A boat kept in storage and used sparingly can be surprisingly in good condition 35-40 years later. have you spoken with any of your lake neighbors? There maybe someone who has appreciated your boat and would be a good future caretaker. Certainly craigslist has been a good place for me regarding sales. You have to weed out some of the crazies, but I've had good results.

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126162

Fletch - I have a buddy who likes the look of the boat so far. He might be interested in coming to take a look at it depending on what the interior and engine look like once you post some more pictures. Of course, he would want to know what your asking price is too!! ;)

Where in Central WI is the cottage and the boat? If he likes what he sees, we might take a ride out to see if its a match. Just need to get logistics in line.

Let us see and know more ASAP.

Looks like I am going to have to add boat brokering in addition to my boat / outboard hoarding affliction!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126168

Thanks a lot - boat is in Lake Mills, off 94 between Madison & Milwaukee. I will be there Friday and will post some pics (or if you want to PM me an email address I can send more pics, faster). I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time, so will send pics of any problem areas I can discern - seams on interior, scratches etc. It isn't perfect mint - it was a family boat that we skied every weekend in the summer, but me and my dad are particular about the care of our land, sea and air vehicles, so it was wiped down and dried out after use, waxed regularly and mechanicals maintained routinely. I think we were hoping to get in the $2500 range if we could, but negotiable certainly. Charge/replace the battery, change the oil and it's ready for the lake. Thanks again and be in touch with you on Friday.

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126171

I will touch base with him and see if I can send his contact info. I have a feeling $2500 is more than he is looking to spend. Did you run the boat through NADA / KBB to get a estimate of value. I did with what I know of the boat, and it was much lower than $2500. It is hard to value a boat without seeing more of it, but I just wanted to let you know the website and you don't see eye to eye right now.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures. It looks like a beauty.

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126175

Looks like a nicely kept family boat for sure. Sad that you have to let her go, but hope she goes to a great home.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126363

Fletch - did you have any updates?

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126463

Hey - sorry for the delay. Got there friday evening, rained all day saturday and I had to leave on Sunday to get back for meetings in Miami on monday. FML. Anyway, my dad got it cleaned up after I left. I don't know what it's worth man. I really don't. Have a look at the pics below. It goes to an estate sale this weekend with a reserve (also a collection of old outboards which I wish I could keep).
Attachments:

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126465

OK that didn't work - here is a Google link. My apologies folks.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwUUAV_L-w8AMXVHLXpkby1VcUE&usp=sharing

Let me know if there is any interest and I will put you in touch with my dad. Bob is a softie...

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126468

Aside from trying to find this boat a home - I am really fascinated and impressed with the knowledge and dedication of the people on this forum. My earliest memories are on my Grandpa's Glass Magic in Clear Lake, WI - and him letting me put the small bow flag up front before we shoved off. It was a simpler time before wake ballast and so forth. We had a 35HP Johnson that bucked itself off the transom and into the lake...my dad and his brothers retrieved it, but that cold water cracked the block. So they bought a replacement 50s Evinrude that had a shaft too long, so the thing porpoised out of control and cracked the transom...good times.

I have three 5 year olds and a 4 year old. (yes triplets, yes an accidental baby 14 months later, for those of you counting on your fingers). But when I get a little breathing room, I plan on reviving my passion for the classics - trying to track down my Grandpa's Glass Magic.

Thanks to all - keep the faith.

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126470

Thanks for the additional pictures. It is in good shape. What do you have for the outboards? I know that I am always interested in some of the older ones, and generally there are a bunch of guys on the website that feel the same way. Having a list with some pictures might allow people to decide if they want to put in a bid.

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126476

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Now that is a cool color combination. :)
Attachments:

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 month ago #126481

Now that is an overpowered rowboat!!! :woohoo:

Re:Looking for opinions on 73 Starcraft American 8 years 1 week ago #127627

The American is a good hull for hot-rod projects (overpowered ... :D). And yours in great shape. Unfortunately it will likely not be kept as pristine as the family kept it. It's just another nice older boat waiting for it's next lot in life.

I'm looking for it's little brother (V-150 Modified) to beef up and overpower into the 60 mph club. I'd prolly pass on yours as it's too nice, but some other guy might not ...

Once it leaves your hands, there is no way of knowing what will happen. you might get lucky and it'll go to a family to start the tradition all over again... But it might not :(

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online