Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Larson Falls Flyer

1959 Larson Falls Flyer 8 years 1 month ago #126008

Hey there. So I'm pretty new to boating (dad had one, been a few times), but there is this neat looking boat hanging out in the parking lot of an antique store I go to every once in a while. I was intrigued by it when it first showed up (over a year ago) and it's moved places a few times, and it caught my eye again while I was there Saturday.

I did some digging and it looks like its a 1959 Larson Falls Flyer. Structurally the boat looks to be in great shape with no punctures or scrapes, but the fuel cell is rusty and someone stuck a 10hp 1958 Evinrude Sportwin on the back (so no controls). Also the trailer is in need of some attention in the way of new lighting and a broken leaf spring that needs replaced.

My thoughts are that it would be a fun project after I complete my motorcycle. I will call on it tomorrow to see about the price and whether it has a title, etc. That being said, I have a few questions:

1.Whats the thing worth?
2.Not that I'm thinking about maxing it out, but what is the largest motor it can handle? (I have seen one with a Merc Mark 75 and others with Mark 58s)
3.How big of a motor would I need to pull someone on ski's with 3 other people on board (average 170lbs per person)
4.Any other advice/ comments

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Larson Falls Flyer 8 years 1 month ago #126009

Here is the rear/motor.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Larson Falls Flyer 8 years 1 month ago #126010

And the inside.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Larson Falls Flyer 8 years 1 month ago #126016

That is a very cool boat! From my novice knowledge, I believe that is kind of a rare falls flyer because it has fins. If you are asking price that can be all over that map, and is subjective to region, and condition of the current economy. I have personally seen falls flyers for sale in the $7,500 to $15,000 price range that are fully restored and show condition. As for the hp question it is hard for me to say I do know that the flyers where not that great of a boat and are prone rolling over if turned to hard, or so I have been told. I would think a mercury mark 55 or 58 would work well on that boat. Hope this helps, and remember these are just my opinions.

Re:1959 Larson Falls Flyer 8 years 1 month ago #126027

Can't say as I've ever seen a boat with taillights before. Way cool.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:1959 Larson Falls Flyer 8 years 1 month ago #126040

Yeah I have seen where a "museum" quality one sold for $8,800. I would think if I could get into if for a few hundred dollars it may be worth it, but who knows. It looks like the Mark 58 might have been stock on this one, if this test advertisement is any indication.

I just called and the lady is asking $1950. She says she may be able to get the title but isn't sure-- definitely too rich for my blood at this point. If anyone else is interested I can provide phone #s to get in contact with the place.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Larson Falls Flyer 8 years 1 month ago #126049

This is the redesigned version of the Larson Falls Flyer. They only made them for two or three years before dropping the model.

I personally feel they are homely looking and from what I have heard they are poor riding boats. There is however a very dedicated fan group for this and the previous version of the Falls Flyer. My opinion, but I think the restored ones are way over priced.

Boat manufacturers did not put motors on the boats or trailers under them. The boats went to dealerships. The dealer put whatever brand motor they carried on the transom and whatever trailer brand they carried. So a Falls Flyer did not "come standard" with a Mercury.

Andreas

Re:1959 Larson Falls Flyer 3 years 6 months ago #144173

I know this ad was posted years ago but, I'm going to go out on a limb here. Do you know if this boat is still for sale? Thanks in advance! Kent

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6814 guests and 2 members online