Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upgrading Steering Cable to ?

Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 1 month ago #125887

First, a thank you to all those who take the time to post and reply in these forums. After viewing many of the older and current post/replies here, I really have an appreciation for the knowledge base and skills represented here.
So here's my question: My current 1965 14' Sea King needs new steering cables. The motor is a 1975 50hp that has mounts for optional connections.
What are my options beyond cables or possibly hydraulic? Cost and reliability would be my priority. I would hope to do the work myself.
Any advice on the difficulty would be great.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 1 month ago #125919

I'd think Hydraulic would be overkill, and prob. unneeded in a 50hp. I'd just give the current system a go-over, check specifically the pulleys and their mounting. If OK, just follow directions you find here on the site and replace the steel cable. If you want to change it, any push pull system would do, and should be an easy retrofit for you.

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 1 month ago #125929

I just switched over to a uflex rotary. I didn't worry about he NFB because I have heard that makes it harder to steer at the dock and that there isn't much torque on a 100HP. I have been so happy since I changed it. My pulleys couldn't be replaced because they were screwed in between the layers of fiberglass and or unreachable in the fins of the boat. So, that is what made me decide to switch. It was a little nerve racking to cut a bigger hole in the dash, but it steers beautifully now and is so quiet. Used to make a lot of noise at the lower levels.
Attachments:

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 1 month ago #125968

2DogCrew:

We have two (2) classic 1960 Glasspar Boats, namely, our one-family owned 1960 Glasspar G-3 and a 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan.

Like you, our 1960 G-3 originally had the old "cable and pulley" system and after my Dad passed away and left the boat to me, I decided to upgrade not only the engine but also the steering system.

I went to a "Baystar" Hydraulic System on the G-3 and could not be happier with it! :) I found mine online and installed it with the help of a friend who runs a boat dealership. They are more expensive than a straight cable system, but to me the benefits of the hydraulic steering is much better. To me it is like having power steering although like you we have a Merc 50 Outboard on our G-3 too. On our 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan, I bought and installed the "Uflex" Hydraulic Steering System. The outboard motor on the Seafair is a Merc 90, much heavier than the Merc 50 and again, the "Uflex" System works great.

I would look around online and see if you can find a deal. This may not be something you want but I wanted to let you know we really love the two systems on our boats.

Below is a photo of the "Baystar" System on the G-3:

Attachments:

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 4 weeks ago #126847

I changed the old cable steering on my 1959 14' Whitehouse, to a Teleflex, push pull system. Great improvement.
On a budget, I just attached the motor end of the cable to a home made bracket, bolted to the center of the carry arm on the 25 hp Yamaha motor.

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 4 weeks ago #126848

I changed the old cable steering on my 1959 14' Whitehouse, to a Teleflex, push pull system. Great improvement.
On a budget, I just attached the motor end of the cable to a home made bracket, bolted to the center of the carry arm on the 25 hp Yamaha motor.

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 4 weeks ago #126851

I installed a teleflex on my old Skagit 17 (replacing the cable and pulley system) and it worked well. I ran the cable through the same penetration that the pulley wires ran through and it improved the handling and safety immensely. I was able to reuse the steering wheel and spacer from the old system so the looks of the steering station were not compromised.

If your steering wheel has a 3/4" tapered hole with a key way it will fit the teleflex unit.

20.5' 1966 ClipperCraft, 18' 1978 Olympic, and a 12' 1959 Elgin Car Top.

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 4 weeks ago #126852

David your becoming quite the rigger. I need to replace the cables on the Avalon, they are in my office awaiting my motivation. I also have new ones for the G3 once it is ready to be rigged. Have never done one but like everything else, "how hard can it be". :laugh:
Jack

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 4 weeks ago #126855

Jack you will like it. It is much smoother than my old steering and I feel much more secure with it.

If I can do it, anyone can do it!

Re:Upgrading Steering Cable to ? 8 years 3 weeks ago #126918

Don't sell yourself short David you have come a long way since getting your last spring. Fixing your boat has got to be more than selling real estate. LOL :)
See you at the Tower

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online