Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Greetings and questions, of course

Greetings and questions, of course 8 years 2 months ago #125299

Hello all. After wanting a boat all my life, I took the plunge on a pretty nice '59 Dorsett Catalina last week.

Not mine, but mine is just like it. (I can't believe I haven't taken pictures of mine, yet, and the classifieds I found it won't allow download of pics. I remedy that soon.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Greetings and questions, of course 8 years 2 months ago #125300

But before I could even go pick the Dorsett up, I ran across this at an estate sale.
Attachments:

Re:Greetings and questions, of course 8 years 2 months ago #125302

So beginnings the MBS

Multiple
Boat
Syndrome

Welcome to fiberglassics

The Dorsett is a nice cruiser, no idea what the estate boat is.

Re:Greetings and questions, of course 8 years 2 months ago #125304

What I know:

It's registered as a "1969 VCL Caravele". (I'm in Utah and any boat older than '71 or under 16' is registered as a "Non-Titled Watercraft)
18' length
Mercruiser Inline 6 I/O listed on registration as 165 hp and Mercruiser 120 on Sterndrive.
Needs a lot of work but for $150, I couldn't resist. It rides on a really nice trailer, well worth the money even if the boat is junk. Could make a nice fishing boat. The interior is toast and I'll modify it to suit that purpose.

What I don't know:

Everything else. :P
I searched for hours online and can only find the barest of facts. "VCL" was the HIN prefix for four different companies under the umbrella of Reliable Mfg, LLC in Douglas, Georgia, all out of business. V-Master, inc, Glasco, Val-Craft Boat Co. V-Master, and Caravelle Boats.

At some point, some aspect of this company was sold to the present-day Caravelle Boats (HIN:VCN) but I'd don't know if they bought anything more than the name to clarify Trademark issues. While both are in Georgia, I have no idea whether or not there have anything more in common than this. What I found is that the online history of Caravelle Boats begins in 1971. I can't find a shred of info on this boat, written or pictorial anywhere online. Which is rare, given the wealth of information on a variety of really obscure makes.

The children of the PO weren't much help, their only info was that their dad loved it, used it regularly, but was so ill he may not have winterized it last year. :angry:

Sooooo, anyone out there have any clues? Given the "winterization" news I may be looking at a new motor. I'll find out later this week once I've bought a new battery and finished changing the oil, flushing gas tank, etc.

TIA

I'll be adding more on both boats as time goes on.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online