Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hull ID Location on 1960's SlickCraft SS160

Hull ID Location on 1960's SlickCraft SS160 8 years 2 months ago #124704

I just got a 1960's Slickcraft SS160 (the Mercury 1000 has a 1965 serial number) and am looking for a Hull Identification Number to register it here in Michigan.

I looked in the normal places (transom / under the water line / on the rear data tag / etc) but can't seem to find anything. The boat has a fiberglass floor with carpet glued down to it (looks original - the boat is 95% complete and all original) so I can't easily see if it is on a stringer or not.

There is a capacity tag rivetted on the boat from the outboard boating club of america but it only lists: max hp / person-weight capacity.

Anyone have luck finding a HIN on the early Slickcrafts?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Chris
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hull ID Location on 1960's SlickCraft SS160 8 years 2 months ago #124723

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
There were no HINs on recreational boats until 1972. Some makers assigned serial numbers but by no means all. You are fortunate to have one with the old OBC label. Very few manufacturers were members of OBC back then. This will actually save you some grief in some states that want to see a cap label. I don't know if Mich is one of those but having lived there for a short time I wouldn't be surprised.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Hull ID Location on 1960's SlickCraft SS160 8 years 2 months ago #124733

Thanks

My dad's 1958 Chris Craft has a hull ID (serial number) on the stringer and I wondered if Leon Slickers had done the same since he started at Chris Craft (they were not required but some assigned numbers and I didn't know if Slickcraft did). I figured I would ask but have yet to run across anyone with a 1960's Slickcraft SS160 to see how they have their boat registered...

Chris

Re:Hull ID Location on 1960's SlickCraft SS160 8 years 2 months ago #124738

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Chris Craft had a history of assigning serial numbers to their boats. How to get it registered. Depends on the state. But the general procedure is take your biil of sale to the registration office and tell them it was built before 1972 and has no HIN. They may have a form or it may be on the registration form as here in Washington State, a statement that you certify to be true that the boat was built prior to 1972 or is home built (which it obviously is not) but that's what the statement says. Depending on the state they may ask to have a op look at it to verify that. But most states don't do that.

They may assign an HIN to the boat (all states can under Federal law but some states choose not to) and then issue you a registration and title. That's the simple explanation. For a good idea of what can happen see the thread at www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/main-forum/getting-a-title-for-your-vintage-boat

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Hull ID Location on 1960's SlickCraft SS160 8 years 2 months ago #124740

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
By the way if you want more info on your Chris Craft all their company records are at the Mariners Museum in Newport News, VA. www.marinersmuseum.org/library/#chris-craft

I had the privilege of working for many years with a naval architect who had been the chief engineer at Chris for many years until 1971 when he came to work for the Coast Guard. I also had the dubious distinction of investigating a problem with Chris Crafts that were splitting open and sinking in 1978 (new boats) This was after AMF bought the company and quality went to hell.

Anyway they also have online a guide to finding HINs. Just go to the link above.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com

Re:Hull ID Location on 1960's SlickCraft SS160 8 years 2 months ago #124748

Thanks Peter.

I think I am set regarding Chris Craft but still have a gap regarding this Slickcraft. It sounds like I need to follow a parallel path and try to contact some of the people over in Holland, MI to see if I can find anything out. I appreciate the link though.

I will continue on to find the info on how to register the SlickCraft SS160 so I can start to work toward getting it in the water....

Chris

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online