Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scored complete electronics for my 73 Rude $65

Scored complete electronics for my 73 Rude $65 8 years 2 months ago #124401

I was looking at other cities Craigslist boat parts listings and I came across a guy in PA that was selling complete electronic parts for 1973 Evinrude 65 HP (which is what I have), $65.00 for everything. This is great, except for the fact that I live outside of Charlotte, NC. My brother lives in Pittsburgh area, but still over an hour from the guy.

I called the seller and asked if my brother could pick up or have him ship to me, and he said "My daughter is visiting me from the Charlotte, NC area, maybe she could bring the parts to you.... How lucky is that?

Sure enough, she brought the box of parts back with her, and wouldn't take an extra dollar for her trouble. Here is what I got for $65.00 cash:

Timer Base with ring and mounting parts - worth $275.00
Power Pack (3 years old) - worth $100.00
3 Coils (OMC, all 3 years old) - worth $90.00 for the 3
Starter Solenoid - new - with complete wiring harness - $25.00
Flywheel - worth $50.00
Stator - worth $200.00
Rectifier - worth $30.00
Electric Choke Solenoid - worth $25.00
Complete Amplifier bracket, with distribution board, etc - worth ???

Not a bad deal! I have tested each part with meter (following my OEM Evinrude service manual that was purchased with the motor when new (manual that was used in service department). Every part test good. Stator is clean, timer base smooth on its advance.

Now the funny part... Took my boat out this afternoon and it ran like crap. For the first 10 minutes it acted like it was either starving or flooding -- would not get to full power (would hardly even plane - max 3K RPM). Then it began surging until running pretty good - but every so often would drop RPM and surge for several minutes. We limped back to the dock and off to home.

I pulled plugs when I gor home, and top cylinder plug was oily and fouled. I cleaned the plugs and ran on the hose - seemed to idle better, but still a surge every now and then. I waited till dark to look at the coils etc while running, and sure enough my top coil is leaking and throwing sparks to ground. So, I just bought the part I needed.... how wierd is that? I will put the replacement coil on tomorrow at lunch time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Scored complete electronics for my 73 Rude $65 8 years 2 months ago #124408

Buy a lottery ticket!

Frank

Re:Scored complete electronics for my 73 Rude $65 8 years 2 months ago #124432

Well, I changed out the bad coil for one of the three I got in my $65.00 parts pilr, and all is back to good again. My son and I took her out on the lake and she runs like a top -- lake was flat and we pulled 38 MPH (better than before the issue - I think it must have been intermittently getting worse till it finally started leaking voltage).

So I used one little part, and have 900.00 worth of electronics still on standby just in case..... Maybe I will go out and buy that lottery ticket. ;)

Re:Scored complete electronics for my 73 Rude $65 8 years 2 months ago #124504

Scored another great Craigslist deal today - A Michigan Wheel Stainless 13x19 13 spline prop for $75.00. There is literally not a nick on it, near perfect condition. All splines in perfect condition, the rubber hub clean and tight. Hoping to see if I can get a couple more MPH out of my 1973 65HP Evinrude Triumph with Hydraulic Shift Assist.

When I went from the factory aluminum 13.5x17 prop to a OMC stainless Viper 13.75x17 prop it picked up 4 or 5 MPH. I hope this prop is faster. The Viper 17 pitch runs at 5500 rpm at WOT, which worries me a bit as this is the top of the recommended range. Thinking I might get a few more MPH and drop RPM 200 to 300 at WOT.

I will be taking it out this Saturday for the Reidsville NC AOMCI boat meet. Will update the results. Prop already installed.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online