• Page:

TOPIC: How to build a boat stand?

How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124207

• peoriaone
  • peoriaone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an 18 foot Texas maid aluminum boat I plan to restore this Winter. I am looking for advice or perhaps a link to build a simple boat stand since the trailer will not fit in my garage. Anyone build one or can point me to plans? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124214

Look at you trailer.
I say to simulate trailer bunks, put a set of Harbor Freight solid castors, for the base to roll it around. (HF tires always seem to go flat)
If you have a truck, Go to Craigs list in the free section to start finding free wood, pallets, or old deck material, near you, to build your boat cradle. You don’t need to buy new wood. (unless you want to ?)
The cradle doesn’t have to look pretty to be functional.

So out of pocket cost is: HF castors, nuts, bolts, washers, lag screws, and gas money to pick-up free wood ?
Just my opinion ?

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124217

I'm not trying to be funny here, but my boat stand is two towers of concrete blocks with wood on top to support the stern, and another set of blocks with wood to support the keel. Inexpensive, but effective. I used the sawhorses just for stability.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124224

I use Styrofoam blocks.
I release the winch, and tie the transom of the boat to a tree, and slowly pull the trailer forward so that a couple feet of the boat are now aft of the trailer.
Then I lower the front of the trailer down to the ground, so the transom of the boat is as high as you can get it without using a hoist and slide the Styrofoam blocks under the transom.
Then raise the bow of the boat as high as you can, so that the keel of the boat is only contacting the Styrofoam blocks and the front of the trailer.
Then I slide another Styrofoam block under the bow, and start moving the trailer out from under the boat.
When a cross member or the axel runs into the front Styrofoam block, use the trailer as a pee-vee to momentarily raise the bow off the Styrofoam block, and reposition the block aft of the cross member or axel, and continue pulling the trailer forward.
doc :P

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124226

Basically I do the same as the doc, but no trees involved.

I lower the front of the trailer to the ground, then build block under the stern. I use a 2X4 to leverage the stern up enough to get wood under in a tight fit. Then I raise the front of the trailer to make sure I have space between the wood on the blocks and the rear bunks. Then out comes my engine hoist that I place perpendicular to the trailer at the front bow winch ring. At this stage, the engine hoist legs are under the trailer. I hook to the ring and lift the boat clear of the trailer such that it is sitting somewhat bow up, so it drains well. I pull the trailer out till it hits the engine hoist leg, and put a set of blocks and wood under the keel. If I need more stability I use sawhorse on the sides in the front as you can see in the pic I posted above.

What I would not give for a big shop building with joints I could hook to!

Frank

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124228

• peoriaone
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for all the input. I dont have an issue getting the boat off the trailer. I have straps and winch mounted to the ceiling. I am in need of the stand to lower it on. The foam blocks sound ideal. Where do you get these?

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124231

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Mark go buy some cheap 2x4 and harbor freight get 4 wheels and Blot up a little4x8 box, make it 1 ft high and it will hold that aluminium boat but bolt it together,screws don't work well for me,you will use it again,it will come off easy and not be dead space,,I have used the harbor freight 2x2 but they dont roll well,just my thought Bill

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124235

• peoriaone
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Bill

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124243

Easy Breezy
This is the same boat.

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124524

Here's the one I made and used...

Click the Pic to Enlarge.

Attachments:

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124528

Robert what did you put on the hull? Looks like a very nice job from the pic. Additional pics would be great.

Thanks
Jack

Re:How to build a boat stand? 8 years 2 months ago #124563

Brushed on Rustoleum. It was all I could afford at that time. It needs done again. I'm hard on bottom finish.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online