Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cross member support?

Cross member support? 8 years 3 months ago #124071

Cleaning out front of boat - there is a cross member one side has some wood rot about 5 inches the rest of the wood is rock solid - it has been encased in fiberglass - I assume the broken window above let rain in which weakened the wood - I really dont want to replace the whole thing - what if I attached a support strip behind - sealed all with resin and fiberglass?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cross member support? 8 years 3 months ago #124074

I've never done it myself on a boat but it's referred to as " sistering " in the trades and I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work for you. My Brother-in-law has done it on a few boats and says as long as you don't skimp on screws and you glass everything up tight it's great for your own use but costs you at resale. That's all I've got. Good luck with it.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re: Cross member support? 8 years 3 months ago #124082

Rot can spread and grow affecting the rest of the beam. Be sure to remove the rotted section of wood, treat the exposed areas/edges. Also, fix the source of water entry so it does not happen again.

Re: Cross member support? 8 years 2 months ago #124196

I think that if you are going to the trouble of putting a sister in there and fiberglassing it. your only a short step away from cutting out the old making a new piece and a proper install. Short cuts tend to cause problems later on. in all aspects of life.

Re:Cross member support? 8 years 2 months ago #124197

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Ditto the above. Patching is a bad habit to get into. That cross piece is structural. I'd remove it, ALL of it, duplicate it in white oak, double coat it with CPES and then re-install. After that, all you need is a thin layer of fiberglass and a little paint.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Cross member support? 8 years 2 months ago #124307

Thank you - good advice

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online