• Page:

TOPIC: Question on aluminum transoms

Question on aluminum transoms 8 years 3 months ago #123815

• Mr. Asa
  • Mr. Asa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm working on my Herter's, and I finally removed the transom to check it and remove the steel bolts that had oxidized in place. Once I removed it I took out the transom clamp plate below as something else to clean and refurbish, then I got to thinking about it.

Everything I've ever heard about aluminum transoms says that when you have aluminum on both sides of the transom the motors have a tendency to slip and can walk off of the transom. Do I need to worry about that with this setup? I plan on adding a security cable to the transom brace that runs to the floor anyways.
Anyone have any clues as to why they fabricated the transom with this plate in the first place? It appears to be rubber wrapped around an aluminum sheet, then bolted to the aluminum transom.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Question on aluminum transoms 8 years 3 months ago #123878

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Come on guys, no comments?

Re:Question on aluminum transoms 8 years 3 months ago #123895

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
My best guess would be to hold the motor clamps tight. Some boats like the Glasspar and Winner had a rubber plate that slide over the transom then the motor was clamped down. If that is factory Herters then, likewise it was meant to hold the saddle clamps of the motor tight to the transom.

Just shear speculation of an old man. So I could be wrong,

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Question on aluminum transoms 8 years 3 months ago #123904

All the rubber pads like that I've seen were labeled w boat hardware or outboard makers. Wilcox Crittenden offer 1 similar to yours. Does it have their WC mark on it?

Re:Question on aluminum transoms 8 years 3 months ago #124013

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
morris wrote:

My best guess would be to hold the motor clamps tight. Some boats like the Glasspar and Winner had a rubber plate that slide over the transom then the motor was clamped down. If that is factory Herters then, likewise it was meant to hold the saddle clamps of the motor tight to the transom.

Just shear speculation of an old man. So I could be wrong,

Al

Speculation is better than nothing. It follows along with what I was thinking as well. The solid aluminum wouldn't allow you to clamp down and create enough tension unless you started getting into elastic deformation.

jbcurt00 wrote:

All the rubber pads like that I've seen were labeled w boat hardware or outboard makers. Wilcox Crittenden offer 1 similar to yours. Does it have their WC mark on it?

Nope, Herter's Waseca, Minn on it. A couple of other things that I can't remember.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online