Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fiberglass Cleaning or Painting

Fiberglass Cleaning or Painting 8 years 3 months ago #123728

Hello--

New owner of a 1957 MFG Erie. Its in great shape but I would like to get the hull clean. Tried several products with some success, but would like restore it as best as possible. Paint certainly does not seem to be the answer as the old MFG's were not polished fiberglass.

I've attached a pic (not of a dirty area)--thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Enjoying the forum.
Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fiberglass Cleaning or Painting 8 years 3 months ago #123737

if that is the exterior of the hull, i don't know what to tell ya, but their are people here that will know.... ron

Re:Fiberglass Cleaning or Painting 8 years 3 months ago #123750

If that's the outside hull then gelcoat never got put on it or it was ground down by a previous owner and then painted and the paint has come off.

If that's the inside then it's going to take some good soap and water with a lot of brushing. Some Dawn dish soap and water, try to spray some on with a spray bottle and let it sit for a few minutes then scrub it off with a brush and see how that works. If hat doesn't work then you'll need something stronger like simple green or the orange stuff. Attwood does make a hull cleaner that you wear gloves with that I use to wipe down the inside of my boat but it's been painted so it comes off nicely. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Re:Fiberglass Cleaning or Painting 8 years 3 months ago #123859

that is indeed the exterior and shows no sign of ever being painted

Re:Fiberglass Cleaning or Painting 8 years 3 months ago #123914

Is that what would be known as crazing?

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Fiberglass Cleaning or Painting 8 years 3 months ago #124021

No to me that's what looks like a boat that didn't have gelcoat in the mold before the glass was laid in it. Others who are much more smarter on fiberglass can jump in. Either that or someone ground off all the gelcoat then sanded nice and left it without recoating it.

Bob

Re:Fiberglass Cleaning or Painting 8 years 3 months ago #124095

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
looks like all the hard work is done here, sand her smooth to your liking and gelcoat her, you'll need a special gelcoat spray gun... not to expensive to get a cheap one.... but I'd for sure go with gelcoat, flip it over and tape off the deck and do the hull first, then once dried a week later, flip her back over mask off the hull and spray the deck..

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online