Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: If I only had a brain

If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123694

Finally got a chance to tank test the '59 Johnson 35 hp that we spent the winter working on. Spent two hours trying but just couldn't get it to start. Had fuel at the carb, checked spark (a couple of times) and had a nice hot spark. Fiddled with carb adjustments. Just wouldn't start. Finally decided that I should have rebuilt the carb during the winter (bought the kit, just got lazy).

So I decided to rebuild the carb. Pulled the starter off. Decided I'd better take some pictures of the carb linkages before I dismantled. That's when I realized that we had never moved the throttle to the start position. Put the starter back on. Started on the first try and ran fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123699

Reminds me of the time I went back home from the dock because of a dead battery and found that the fast idle was set too high (so the safety switch would not allow the FULLY CHARGED battery to send the power.... ruined the day.

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123703

Pulled my 1960 G-3 100 miles to race in 1965, unloaded it, started it and drove it to dock. Shut it down and went to move car and trailer. Came back to it and it (the 1961 v-4 Johnson, like new, would not fire or start!!!! Tried and tried, but sat out the heats I would have raced in!!! Afterwards, a good friend of mine who I would have raced against (he won), came to me and asked why I didn't run! Told him motor would not fire!! He pulled the distributor cap off, took out the burned-up rotor button and said "a ninety cent" rotor button is all you need, and I have some in the truck!!! WHY didn't you ask for help before the races?? I told him I was too embarrassed!!!!

Only pic I have of that boat (sold it in mid 70s)
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123718

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I would post an interesting story here but after nearly 50 years of boating, I have never made a single mistake. My boats have always been spotless and run like a Swiss watch. I'm the envy of boaters worldwide. Everyone wants to be me.

I have autographed 8x10 glossy photos of myself available to Fiberglassics members for a nominal fee of $25, plus postage...while they last. You can hang one in your shop for inspiration and to impress your friends but they also make great gifts for the nautical screw-ups in your family. (Strict limit of 6 per person.) But wait! Act now and I'll enclose a copy of my new book, "You Can Never Be Perfect But You Can Read About Someone Who Is."

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123721

You might want to start knocking on some wood ASAP. The universe has a sick sense of humor and doesn't like it when you get TOO happy. LOL.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123922

Did I ever mention the time I forgot to put my plug in. Got talking to a friend of mine in the parking lot and the only reason the boat didn't sink was because the water was too shallow. Well, it never happened, at least there is no proof of it. :P

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123925

It's so easy to trip over the simple esthings. I've caught several mistakes that I've made working on this thing. Partially the result of being a novice (1st boat, 1st outboard). Mostly a result of rushing. I get limited opportunities to work on it, so when I do I'm scrambling to get as much done as I can. Not a recipe for success.

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123932

My Old Man did that once. I had to teach him the "outrun the water" trick. :)

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123933

• JerryF
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Brand new 4 stroke motor, first time out. Ran like a dream, fast, quiet, powerful. Got down to the far end of the lake, shut it down to admire the look of that beauty on the transom. Moved around the boat, took pictures galore, smiling like an idiot. Time to go, would not start. Tried and tried, checked battery, checked fuel, took cover off and stared at that computerized enigma of an engine. No clue, kicking self and thinking about long paddle back to dock. Sat in pilot seat, damn near cried, looked down and saw emergency cutoff doohickey hanging from my belt! @@@***fqw3etr!!! :ohmy:

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123935

Technology rears it's ugly head again. lol. My neighbor covets my old Snapper tractor because I can get off and it still runs, I can cut grass in reverse, I have gears...etc. LOL. He absolutely HATES his new one. He's say if all that stuff is necessary to protect the operator they are too stupid to be on a machine in the first place. Kinda like that "for external use only" label on shampoo.

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123942

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I hot-wired the auto cut-off switch on my John Deere the day I bought it.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123944

If you know how to do it with a Craftsman that old boy will be forever in your debt :)

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123988

Ya stand up on the mower to wipe sweat and the cut-off switch in the seat works!!! Everytime ya get off to pick up a kids toy you have to restart the @#$$% thing!!!
Nothing better than one that runs as long as the key is on!!! Best mower I ever had when growing up in the 50s was the mower attached to our Farmall!!! Had to mow pecan orchid with 90 trees and that was fun!!
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #123989

LMAO. You wanna see another DUH moment I forgot my motor was a two stroke yesterday ! It's been a while since I had one of them. I love my old mower. It doesn't have a single functional safety feature and suits me just fine. I don't have any either. LOL.

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #124019

My Lawn tractor is a Model 73 International Cub Cadet. I cut grass with it, give it a bath and take it to the shows right along side of my1961 Cub Cadet Original Pulling tractor. I just bought a Model 122 last week. They can run their MTD made garbage up where the sun don't shine. I till with an old Bolen's Husky Tube frame.
Attachments:

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #124032

NICE ! I can't show pictures of mine. My Wife decorated it to suit her ! Now I mow the lawn after dark. The way she's got the old beast covered in daisies and butterflies it should be leading a parade.

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #124033

Come on now, we HAVE to see this one!! Might be something your wife could make money doing!!!!!!!!! Bet if you put pic of it on Craigs list you will get some hits!!!

Jim Savage

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #124034

I've never been a man to back down from a challenge no matter how embarrassing the outcome. I'll be right back ! :)

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #124035

Most of my life falls into the " you can't make this stuff up " category. Here's a prime example.
Attachments:

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #124036

And the other side matches !
Attachments:

Re:If I only had a brain 8 years 3 months ago #124037

It needs a bath but you get the point. Some days it sucks to be me. LOL. P.S. Apologies to the moderators for taking this thread so far off topic :)
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle