Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cutter Jet de Ville

Cutter Jet de Ville 14 years 2 months ago #12362

I am new to this site and I was wondering if someone could help me on a boat I just bought? It was sold to me as a 1963 Cutter Jet de Ville and after some searching around on the net it looks to be a 1958 or 59. The VIN # last 4 are 2358 does this mean it was built on Feb.3 1958? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Cutter Jet de Ville 14 years 2 months ago #12364

Welcome aboard.

VIN numbers are meaningless unless we know it in its entirity. And they are pretty much meaningless anyway unless someone knows the particular decipher for that company.

There was NO requirement for VIN on boats built prior to November 1972. Therefore it was up to each manufacturer to have their own unique code, if any. Some companies did not use any type of ID on their boats.

Your "2358" might indicate Feb 3 1958 or it could be the 2,358th boat made that particular year or it could just be a company internal serial number that can not be used to determine the year.

Look at the brochures here in the Classic Library section to see if you can find a match.

Andreas

Re:Cutter Jet de Ville 14 years 2 months ago #12366

Hi, I appreciate the info. The boat seems to be an identical match to the 1958 brochure. Thanks again, Pat

Re:Cutter Jet de Ville 14 years 2 months ago #12381

It's not a '58 model. In '57-58 the deck height was "thin" at the nose and in '59 they changed to taller deck like yours. Nice looking boats either way.
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Cutter Jet de Ville 14 years 2 months ago #12383

I also think it's important to look at the power on the boat and whether there are signs of repowering. That sure looks like a mid-60's Chrysler to me. Is it the original motor on the boat?

Re:Cutter Jet de Ville 14 years 2 months ago #12416

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Here is a pic of my 59 Jet Deville I sold a couple of years ago, maybe tis will help.
JAG
Attachments:

Re:Cutter Jet de Ville 14 years 2 months ago #12439

Thanks for pointing that out

Re:Cutter Jet de Ville 14 years 1 month ago #12623

The SN on stamped on the back handle appears to include the production date. I have a Jet de Ville stamped CJD 0158-497. The front deck (and presumably the rear deck which does not have a hatch) and bow light differ from yours. I have '58 Como also which has the same front deck and bow light you show (but no rear deck). I'll check the SN for the Como and post with pictures if you request.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6837 guests and no members online