Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New boat owner

New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123332

Early last week, I acquired my first boat. I traded a 1980 Honda cm400t for a 1963 Dorsett El Dorado. My wife and I are pretty excited to begin the restoration progress on this diamond in the rough, but I just wanted some positive reassurance that our efforts are going to be worth it in the long run.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123375

Hi Philip

From my experience in restoring classics of all forms the satisfaction out ways the financial outlays.

If you are seeking a profit, this can be attained but only if little work is required and a quick turn around can be achieved.

I have also recently bought a new project a 1960's Owens. I knew before hand that it will need a reasonable amount of time and money, but I intend keeping it and using it as much as possible as I do with my classic car and caravan even if I do wear them out.

Steve

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123376

Don't look at it from the money stand point but more so the fact you did it yourself and more than likely you will have the only one on the water......I appreciate the vintage stuff a lot more than I do these new $75-100,000 boats we see around here.

I have a 1971 Schuster Tahiti Torino that the only thing left from 1971 is the hull. I am always getting stopped and asked about the boat.

Just make a plan and work it out as the time and money allows.

You will find many resto posts here and on the other forums to get an idea of what and how to get it done.

Good luck and post up some pictures as well as start a resto post below.

Karsten

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123385

Welcome aboard! We like pics by the way. There are plenty of folks who can help, just ask away!

Bob

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123487

I tried to post pictures, but it keeps saying my photos from my phone are too big. I appreciate all of the responses. We have slowly started the process, right now I'm working on getting all of the light wiring squared away. Someone had ran all of the wiring all the way back to the battery, so my thought is to put a junction in the front and just run two wires back to the battery. Also another thing I need help with is, I believe there it's water under the deck, but no bilge pump. What's the best way to get that out without causing too much of a change in the boat.

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123490

Go to the pic u want and resize it on your phone and save that pic and post that pic.

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123493

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Friend mine found a Eldo sitting side the road a parking lot as it was "junk" and just left there. He got it and after a lot of work, and Doc Frankenmerc (friends here us)built him a 80 Merc. Has a LOT of money (but has it) in it and keeping it. Simple pristine now!

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123495

That thing is gorgeous!!

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123496

Not really looking for a profit... Yet I guess lol, like I said this is the first boat for my wife and I. Right now we just want to build a boat that will turn heads when we take it out to the lake. We are 27 years old and don't have any experience with boats (I'm a diesel mechanic) so I have a little knowledge when it comes to some things on the boat lol

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123509

Hopefully I got this picture thing down lol. I normally don't post on many forums

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123510

Robby, how did you post multiple pics like that?

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123511

Multiple pics = edit the original post and then submit another picture. you can add as many as you want. Make you to enter in a space between the pictures by hitting enter by the file name. You can also enter text for each picture. Pretty easy once you've done it once or twice.

Good Luck! You will find that fixing old boats and motors is a very contagious disease - once you start you are always on the lookout for another deal or project!!!

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123512

• curse
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Submit the pic, click edit like you want to edit the post, add another pic and submit again. 2nd pic will now be under the first. Hope that makes sense.

Ooops, posted at the same time.

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123516

love that upholstery...best of luck.. when i had my CC re-upholstered, they wanted an additional $750. to do it in 2 tone. now i wish i would of done it. it does so much for the look. ron

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123528

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
vuyosevich wrote:

love that upholstery...best of luck.. when i had my CC re-upholstered, they wanted an additional $750. to do it in 2 tone. now i wish i would of done it. it does so much for the look. ron

My friend had that interior done a pro, and cost $5000! But its PERFECT!

Re:New boat owner 8 years 3 months ago #123529

5k..ya get what ya pay for...exquisite...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online