Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion

New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123115

Just wanted to say hey, and introduce myself, and my new project A 1960 Larson Sea lion!

OK, She has some issues. Issues with the motor, and boat itself too.

Time to put the thinking cap on, and take ourselves to school on how to diagnose the issues, and fix them. She is a classic. She wants to run, play, fish, and turn heads too! When we are done, She will be just as, if not stronger, than new and just as pretty, maybe better!

A truly classy lady doesn't need to be flashy to be drop dead gorgeous! (If she can run with the boys, and fish just as hard, that's a bonus!)

My wife and I are committed to giving her a new lease on life!

Photo shoot coming up, I want before, during, and after pictures of the restoration!

“Rose” will float again, and she will be the lady she once was, and wants to be again! Classy,,, a little “Sassy”,,, and full of life!

We are the right folks to help her on this transformation!

Picture here is from the sale add. I'll add some of our own ASAP!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123117

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome aboard. Glad you stopped by to say hi. Lots of good knowledgeable people who can help out with any issues from cosmetics to engine.
Boat looks like a winner. should be a comfy ride. Just by looking at her I'm going to put in a bet of low 30's mph, maybe mid.
Don't be afraid to ask any questions, I've embarrassed myself a few times with easy answered ones.

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123118

Thanks 63 Sabre!

I have not done extensive diagnostics yet on the boat! To be honest I'm don't quite know how. (I'm steep in a learning curve! I've never worked on a fiberglass boat before.) I suspect that I'll have to pull the deck and inspect the stringers. At worst the stringers will need to be redone, before I re-deck it. If the stringers are bad, I need to look hard at the transom. She has been "worked on" before, but I don't know what they did, how they did it, or what they did it with!

My first priority is safety and function, after that we'll make her pretty again! The motor is a 1960 Johnson v4 74 HP, It runs!:) Having shifting issues, and some oil leaking on the lower.

We are still in the diagnosing stage! I truly don't know what all we are going to have to do, yet.

I payed $600 for her "as is".

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123124

Well welcome aboard and nice find! She should be a good project. As Cal said there's plenty of good folks here who can help you, just ask away.

Bob

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123125

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I actually do this for a living and gave up long ago trying to rebuild a boat using the original structural components. Obviously, a 1960 boat is 56 years old and what's under the decking is generally pretty scary. Assume the worst and you'll be half right. Rather than try to make do with the decking and stringers, I'd recommend a wholesale deconstruction of the interior and start over from scratch right down to the bare fiberglass.

Replace the transom and install new stringers and any other framing members. Be sure to mark for the seats so additional framing "nailers" can be installed to screw into. After that, foam all the way to the top of the frames and then deck with 3/8" marine ply. Fiberglass the plywood and run the fiberglass about 4" up the bulkheads. Cover with good quality carpet.

Here's a restoration photo log showing the steps:

www.nautilusrestorations.com/1969CorrectCraftBarracuda.html

I can also help you with any "How to?" and "Where can I get that?" questions.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123148

Nautilus wrote:

I actually do this for a living and gave up long ago trying to rebuild a boat using the original structural components. Obviously, a 1960 boat is 56 years old and what's under the decking is generally pretty scary. Assume the worst and you'll be half right. Rather than try to make do with the decking and stringers, I'd recommend a wholesale deconstruction of the interior and start over from scratch right down to the bare fiberglass.

Replace the transom and install new stringers and any other framing members. Be sure to mark for the seats so additional framing "nailers" can be installed to screw into. After that, foam all the way to the top of the frames and then deck with 3/8" marine ply. Fiberglass the plywood and run the fiberglass about 4" up the bulkheads. Cover with good quality carpet.

Here's a restoration photo log showing the steps:

www.nautilusrestorations.com/1969CorrectCraftBarracuda.html

I can also help you with any "How to?" and "Where can I get that?" questions.

Thank you Nautilus!

You and I are on the same tact I believe! I do know this boat has been worked on. I don't know what was done, but I believe there has been glass added to the back corners, and I believe the deck has been done too. probably at the same time, guessing by the degrading of the resin/glass that was done.(Absolutely no paint left, and I can clearly see they used CMS. I haven't started to really examine her closely. I have read that wood can get wet, and if it gets dried out before rot sets in, it "can" be ok. I guess the question is how can I tell once I get her opened up, if the wood is salvageable? Or should I just plan on gutting her out, and starting over regardless of previous work done. I do strongly suspect there is water soaked foam under the deck. I won't really know how bad it is 'till I get it opened up. What am I looking for?

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123149

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
What you are looking for is a boat with zero structural issues for as long as you'll own it. That can ONLY be achieved by completely gutting the interior and re-doing it...the right way this time. It's not quick and not all that cheap but it's necessary. As is the case with anything, success depends upon a solid foundation. There is no free lunch. We can all help walk you through it if you want/need advice.

First step: Cut away the decking but LEAVE ABOUT 2" to 3" ALONG THE EDGES. This "shelf" is generally rock solid and well-fiber-glassed to the bulkheads and so will support the outside edges of your new plywood decking. It also serves to guarantee that your new decking will be the exact height it should be all along the bulkheads. Simply run straight planks across from side to side and build your stringers so they touch. Generally, I build my stringers too tall and cut slots in them front and rear. The cross pieces (on edge) that sit on the shelves drop into the slots and that allows me to I mark the stringer height fore and aft. Remove the stringers, connect the dots and cut the lines. When they go back in, they should fit perfectly. Sure, this method will make your new decking about 3/8" higher than it was...but so what? She'll be plumb, level, square and rock solid.

If you manage to cut through the bottom of your boat, you MUST tell us and post photos.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123151

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Really hard to tell from the one picture but is that a seam between the upper and lower half? If you have to separate the two halves which I would do make sure you keep it on the trailer and put some type of minimal cross bracing between port and starboard. Some boats will widen out when the top is removed especially if the floor is part of the hull support. Take accurate measurements across at several points and keep a log book. Make sure when replacing the floor that the measurements are the same as when you started because even an inch wider will really screw up putting the egg back together. this I know from experience :angry:
Good luck and take lots of reference pictures.

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123152

Nautilus wrote:

If you manage to cut through the bottom of your boat, you MUST tell us and post photos.

I'm assuming everybody will have a great laugh, and you will help me fix her? :angry: :unsure: :S :P

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123153

63 Sabre wrote:

Really hard to tell from the one picture but is that a seam between the upper and lower half? quote]

I don't know yet. It is a rub rail. I have no plan to pull the upper half at this point! I want to keep her as intact as I can, while I do this. The transom will require some cutting of the splash well to gain access. I'll need help when we get that far! :unsure:

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123154

Not that it matters to us, but I have folks asking.

What do think she is worth, after restore. Solid, with fresh paint and finish, with a new canopy made from the pattern of the original. (which is still with her)?

She is our "forever boat". Or more correctly we are her "forever home".

Don't know if this will resonate but WE are looking at this as a rescue. Like one would recue a shelter animal. My wife has a very strong connection, and that is the best way to explain it.

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123158

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You're a very lucky man. My wife never has been and never will be connected to a boat, not even the Elco. With all that I've put her through in the last 46 years, it's a wonder she's still connected to me!

To put it bluntly, your boat will be worth whatever you can get for it. If you do a top shelf job, you should be able to get $5,000 but that may be high. Of course, there's no law against asking $10K. (Remember P.T. Barnum?) Just keep in mind that nobody ever got a dime by asking for a nickle and you only need to find one buyer. Most of the people who own and appreciate these vintage fiberglass boats are do-it-yourself types and generally do not buy restored boats...or so it seems to me. But then, this is your "forever boat" (I've heard THAT one before!) so the value really doesn't matter, right?

So, time to get started. Start the destruction and take/post photos. Just keep working on it like an ant. You'll get there.

Attachments:

"Success makes...

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 3 months ago #123166

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
From Commando Cody:

"DO NOT separate the top from the bottom until you have the new stringers/foam/decking installed. Removing the top allows the bulkheads to flex outward which distorts the shape and the expanding foam will likely push the sides out even more, given the chance. If you install the new decking to that new shape, the new shape of the hull will have become permanent and you'll never get the top back on."

They don't call him Sky Marshall of the Universe for nuthin'!
Attachments:

"Success makes...

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 2 months ago #124491

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Factoryguy,

Looks like a good find. I'm re-restoring my 1960 Sea Lion. I've used it twice in the last 25 years but I think it will get a whole new purpose. My fiancee is far more boat friendly than my ex-wife was. I'm going to get the 61 Evinrude Starflite IIV running again tonight. By far the best boat motor I've ever had.

In my previous restoration I made the mistake of making a full width bench seat in the front. I need to un-modify it back to original.

Good luck!

Todd MN

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 1 month ago #126739

My 61 SeaLion restoration still underway
Attachments:

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 1 month ago #126740

Cherry Bomb
Attachments:

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 1 month ago #126742

Another pic of my baby
Attachments:

Re:New to thi forum, new project-1960 Larson Sea Lion 8 years 1 month ago #126743

Modern E-tec upgrade from original StarflightII has been a pretty good fit!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online