Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gelcoat applications

Gelcoat applications 8 years 4 months ago #123095

Can you apply gelcoat over areas repaired with Marine-Tex White ? Can it be brushed on ? or Rolled on ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Gelcoat applications 8 years 3 months ago #123105

If I remember right the Marinetex is an epoxy and gelcoat does not stick to epoxy. You'll have to paint over it.

Bob

Re:Gelcoat applications 8 years 3 months ago #123132

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I have read lots of stuff and it agreed with what Waterwings said. I was convinced to go the paint route with epoxy as I thought I had searched and read until I was numb...then I ran across this (here is the link) boatworkstoday.com/archives/1680 ...now I am back to being confused and not sure which way to go. He also has a good video comparing paint to gelcoat...still more at odds of which way to go. Here is the "Paint vs. Gelcoat" link boatworkstoday.com/archives/1789

I hope I am the only one confused. I just want the best results and will be for sure using the West System Epoxy before I figure out how to finish it. I only include these videos for more expert people to view and offer comments for you (and others). I believe this person is in northern Wisconsin working on many boats that are Lake Superior Boats.

Good luck and enjoy viewing...I am still a bit lost until I have a few more people just tell me to just paint, or just Gelcoat.

Dr.Go!

Re:Gelcoat applications 8 years 3 months ago #123414

Thanks guys. I too like the videos posted. Very helpful. That fellow is a very good artisan and technician ...if not an engineer. So, to me the take home message is that gel-coat over the epoxy material could be a short term repair...maybe lasting 3-5 years depending on use and location. I plan to repair my bow / keel. No serious damage, it does not leak, but normal wear and tear over 50 years.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online