Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wax on, Wax off

Wax on, Wax off 8 years 4 months ago #123016

While the Sarah Jo is a very low-hour boat, one of the things that always bugged me was the chalking of the hull, so I decided to do something about it.

My plan was simple, wetsand, rubbing compound, polish and wax. I never thought it would take as long as it has. I started with 1000 grit, then moved to 1500 grit, then 2000 grit and finally 3000 grit. Then I busted out the orbital and used rubbing compound. When that was done, I used the polish and then the wax. The products I used were made by Meguiar's, and I can tell you that I will NOT use any other product again.

Here are pics of Sarah Jo, after I sanded the port side. I'm extremely happy with the results...even the outdrive turned out well. My favorite pics are img0252 and img0253, because you can clearly see the reflection of the landscape in the fiberglass. You can really see the difference in the picture of the stern.

I have been swamped with appointments this week, so tomorrow is set aside for the starboard side wet sanding, polishing and waxing.

I sealed the swim platform about ten minutes ago; it's hanging in the garage now and I'll take pics of it tomorrow. I love the way it turned out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
1969 OMC Evinrude Rogue II 210
163 original hours

Re:Wax on, Wax off 8 years 4 months ago #123020

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well done! I have to do this job on my Sea King, and am not entirely looking forward to it...

Re:Wax on, Wax off 8 years 4 months ago #123025

Drb007 wrote:

Well done! I have to do this job on my Sea King, and am not entirely looking forward to it...

I'll admit that I have been rabidly avoiding this project for far too long, because doing it sucks, but the outcome is well worth it.

I also took the time to rebuild the Quadrajet, because it was spewing black smoke on startup....turns out the little schmuck from whom I got the boat attempted to rebuild it but didn't know what the hell he was doing; he bent both primary metering rods into a "U" shape, because he didn't take the time to properly seat them into the jets. I carefully bent them back slowly and rebuilt everything correctly....while I was it, I did the Carter YF on my Jeep CJ-5.

Today I went to Ashley Glass, in Boise, and picked up my rear view mirror....the original glass had been replaced with plastic and the adhesive used bled through the silver, so it was blotchy. Nick and Hans took good care of me...$20 to redo it with glass. I couldn't be more pleased and highly recommend them.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
1969 OMC Evinrude Rogue II 210
163 original hours

Re:Wax on, Wax off 8 years 4 months ago #123037

Nice job! Not surprised that your Quadrajet was badly rebuilt. Have seen similar tissues with them. Some folks shouldn't be allowed to touch tools...
Larry

Re:Wax on, Wax off 8 years 4 months ago #123041

Outstanding!

Bob

Re:Wax on, Wax off 8 years 3 months ago #123275

Very nice, she looks great!!!

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024