• Page:

TOPIC: NEED HELP!

NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #122957

• Ms K
  • Ms K's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm brand new at this so please bear with me.
I'm looking for some help.
My young son was gifted a boat that we are trying to find out information on. The relative who gave it to him had bought it at an auction many years ago and basically knew little about it.
I've attached some pictures hoping someone can direct us as to where we can find some information about it.
As far as we can tell it is called a Meteor Runabout. On the throttle cover it says 'Morse'. We think it was built in(approx) 1959.
We know very little about boats....and given that it's my son's first boat...well...we are hoping maybe someone can help us.
Any help would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #122960

I don't have any info, but it's a good looking boat.

What sort of info, specifically, are you looking for?

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #122961

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your reply. My son is wanting to know as much information as he can about this boat. Where it was manufactured; the year it was built; where he may be able to get original parts for it; the value of the boat etc...

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #122962

Morse is the make of the throttle control.

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #122963

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello. My son thought it was. I'm hoping with help from this forum, we can start piecing things together and learn more about this boat! It's all very exciting. Thank you for your reply.

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #122965

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
We need more photos: The front deck, dashboard, interior and stern. With those photos, I can just about guarantee you that it will be identified.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:NEED HELP! Some more pics included 8 years 4 months ago #122968

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Nautilus and thank you for your help. I've got 3 more pics and hope I can figure out how to load them for you to have a look at.
Attachments:

Re:NEED HELP! Some more pics included 8 years 4 months ago #122971

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
To put multiple pictures on one posting do this. You have the right technique but just some tweaking to get you there.
1. Go to your original post and on the bottom you will see the word "edit"
2. Click on the edit and then you can add another picture by using the browse.
3. Submit that original post again and your next picture will be there along with the first.
4. Click "edit" again and do the same thing over again. You can do this as many times as needed.

As Jan... Nautilus said we need lots of pictures, transom area, bow preferably from the top, interior sides etc.

Meteor was used for several brand of boats, Lone Star was fairly prolific with that name.

Re:NEED HELP! Some more pics included 8 years 4 months ago #122973

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you 63 Sabre for your suggestions. I'll see what I can do. I only have a few pics but it's a start!

Re:NEED HELP! Some more pics included 8 years 4 months ago #122976

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
You got it! Nice job. That's a cool looking boat for sure. I see the tag says Meteor Boat Co. I'm sure you'll get some answers soon. Good luck.

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #122977

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I can find zero about a Meteor Boat Company. Actually, that aluminum tag looks new or at least a lot newer than the boat. It could be that whoever made it got the name wrong...maybe the Meteor model of some manufacturer's line? So far, I've found about 100 things it isn't. The shape of that transom should be a dead giveaway if/when we can find a comparable model. Still looking. (Everybody loves a mystery!)

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:NEED HELP! Some more pics included 8 years 4 months ago #122978

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you 63 Sabre. My son is very fond of his boat. Thanks for your help

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #122979

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It is a mystery Nautilus. I've searched the internet too and found nothing. I contacted the American Antique Boat Association based out of Ottawa ONTARIO hoping they could help. No luck, but they did direct me to this website. I'm so glad they did. Everyone here is very helpful. I do hope I can find some answers. My son is very anxious and excited about knowing more about his boat. Thank you for your help.

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #123003

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I am with Nautilus on the tag. Looks rather plain, but neat. If that is truly an official "DOT" written in the numbering system, maybe that stands for "Department of Transportation". Maybe that is a good starting point thinking there may have to be some sort of records kept elsewhere for that number...maybe where you would register it could look that up if that number was previously registered?? In Wisconsin, we register through our DNR Dept. of Natural Resources. Could this boat be Canadian made? Do you also have a DOT up there as we have in the US? I am just guessing, but if those are legitimate numbers, I would think their could be some records in a registering agency. gives me the impression of late 50, maybe more early 60's, but I am NO expert...I am just relying on my fading memory :)
Good luck hunting! Nice Boat!!

Dr.Go!

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #123004

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow...all great suggestions Dr. Go. We do have a DOT and a DNR here in Ontario. I never thought of checking there...but it might be worth a try. Thank you so much for your input. We really appreciate it. As Nautilus said...the mystery continues...

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #123007

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good point but I'd go by the registration numbers on the bow, not the "new" metal tag. The DNR should be able to give you everything you want to know because, obviously, somebody registered it somewhere and called it something!

"Success makes...

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #123010

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok I'll try that. Thank you Nautilus

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #123045

The Aluminum tag on the back is a transport Canada tag with all of the blue ink missing. That style of tag appeared in the late 50's and continued into the 90's at least. The Meteor name is probably correct as is the model 14' Runabout. The boat was built in Canada for sure as we had a lot of small builders who have long been lost to history. My guess is that the boat was built in the early to mid 60's and probably had an OMC motor of around 40hp. The 50E preface to the registration number means it was originally issued at the Toronto Canada Customs office. For information on transferring the license # to your son go to: www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm
and follow the instructions. Do not run the boat until it is registered (no cost to do it) as there is a substantial fine for doing so. Also make sure that you have liability insurance which can usually be added as a rider to your home owners policy.

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 4 months ago #123046

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
THANK YOU Al. This information is very helpful. I'm still hoping to find out more on the history of this boat, but thank you for the information regarding the transfer. I'm starting to believe it was built by one of the builders that were only in business for a short period of time. My son is hoping to find out it's worth as well. I think it's priceless (lol). It's a cute boat (do you say that in the boating world? lol), and with some elbow grease..it'll clean up great. We're hoping to find out more about the boat in order to possibly purchase original parts in the future. Thanks again

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 3 months ago #123119

Unfortunately you may never find out anything about the maker as there where just so many back in the day and very few of the boats survived. As far as value goes I don't see a trailer or motor so I just have to value the boat and in my opinion it's probably worth anywhere from $0 to $250.00, there just isn't a market for them hence the value. As a comparison check out this KIJII ad Similar size and style but a complete package:
www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/london/1967-14-5-princecraft-gtx-p-trailer-and-75hp-chyrsler-reduced/1163006215?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The only reason to do up a boat like the one you have is because you want to since it's a sure thing that you'll never get your investment back. Have fun with it and go boating!

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 3 months ago #123131

Nice ole boat!!! Before running it be sure that the transom is not rotten inside. Many of the ole boats have bad transoms from many years of rain getting into them. I had one I thought was good with a 65 HP Merc and it split out the first time I ran it!! You can lose a good engine that way!! I did not lose mine, but it got my attention. Pic here of the boat with "new" transom. This pic is called "Elizabeths Hair Dryer" my beautiful wife!!

Jim Savage
Crawfordville, Fl. [imghttp://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/162701_1264256704104_6316293_n.jpg[/img]
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 3 months ago #123136

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Al. And my son thanks you for all your help. He is disappointed though because we couldn't find out more information and he was hoping to be able to buy original parts for it. The dollar value of it isn't that important but he was curious. I believe he'll be keeping it and try to fix it up as best he can. We won't stop trying to find out more about it! I still have to try inquiring with the DNR. Thanks again.

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 3 months ago #123137

• Ms K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Great pic Jim. Thank you for your advice regarding the transom. My son will check for sure. It's a long way from going in the water. He has a lot of work to do first. But we believe she'll be a beauty when we're done! Thanks again

Re:NEED HELP! 8 years 3 months ago #123162

Ms K wrote:

Thank you Al. And my son thanks you for all your help. He is disappointed though because we couldn't find out more information and he was hoping to be able to buy original parts for it. The dollar value of it isn't that important but he was curious. I believe he'll be keeping it and try to fix it up as best he can. We won't stop trying to find out more about it! I still have to try inquiring with the DNR. Thanks again.

Original parts if you're referring to trim etc for that boat are most likely available at just about any boat related flea market. Most boat dealers back in the day bought the boat and then trimmed it out with the motor and accessories that they had access to. The controls on your boat are Morse with ends that fit an OMC so it could have had anything made by OMC on the transom so there is no wrong choice. Cleats, horn, lights etc where probably off the shelf items so anything you can get a set of will suit the boat just fine. If your in the GTA you should really check out the flea market at the Gravenhurst ACBS show in early July. Do you have a motor for the boat, if not send me a PM I have a freebie (needs some assembly!) you might want.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online