• Page:

TOPIC: Bell Boy express 21 Videos.

Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 4 months ago #122647

• Shake
  • Shake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I wish we could have made it to the show, but my worries were confirmed as issues popped up when testing, and then while retesting after getting the only pulling fuel from one tank solved more issues pop up even worse... Ran better on only one working tank, honestly... Just think I need to clean the carburetor... Hesitates when accelorating at around 3k rpms and after getting the second tank working, now hessitates same spot then dies... Holley 2 barrel electric fuel pump.

www.facebook.com/Joe122/videos/vb.1344306965/10209308121803764/?type=2&theater

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 4 months ago #122648

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Here you can hear and see the hesitation in this video, first day of testing, second day it would do that same thing and then die when Idling down..

www.facebook.com/Joe122/videos/vb.1344306965/10209297535779120/?type=2&theater

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 4 months ago #122665

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Joe: I watched the video 3 times. It's definitely a fuel or fuel delivery issue.

The first thing I would do is run the fuel pump to collect gas in a glass jar. You could have water in your gas. I once had a boat the scooped splashed water in through the rear mounted fuel tank vent as soon as the stern dipped down. That engine acted the same way yours does. Might want to check that. Also, try running the engine pulling gas directly from a gas can.

It's possible that the electric fuel pump is pushing too much gas and flooding the carb.

It's possible that the choke butterflies are not opening fully when you dump the throttle

If everything above checks out, I'd be ready to rebuild or replace the carburetor.

If none of this works, forget I mentioned it.

Jan

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 4 months ago #122859

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I checked the float height and it seemed low, have it set to drain out the bottom of sight hole, also the pick up tubes are in the front of the tanks, moving the to the back of the tanks as the vent fitting is the same as the pick up tube.... Hopefully that irons that out... then time to find a new block and rebuild.....

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 4 months ago #122868

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Check the output PSI of that fuel pump. Carbs only require 2-5 pounds, and many electric pumps can easily overpower a carb float. If its too high, get an adjustable pressure regulator. www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-Fuel-Pressure-Regulators/745059/10002/-1?itemPerPage=90&pno=1

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 4 months ago #122869

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Joe:
One more idea...check that your tank vents are totally clear. I once had a boat with your symptoms...like the engine was starving for fuel. It turned out that wasps had plugged the vent fitting solid with mud. Sounds stupid, I know, but it did happen to me and it took me days to figure it out.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 4 months ago #122895

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
the one tank had a plugged (mud wasp nest) vent, other tank clear, still no fix, took the 4 barrel intake and carb off the saberflite, going to install that setup. Also I think I pinpointed my water source in the oil, Rocker assembly studs over/ through the water jackets in the heads leaking water into the engine.

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 4 months ago #122927

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Back together and letting the rtv settup, splashed a bit of red paint on her, Looks good with the "new" four barrel carb and intake settup from the Saberflite...
Attachments:

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 2 months ago #125132

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
New vid, still working out carb issues, but getting there, fuel issues popping up like wack a mole.....

www.facebook.com/Joe122/videos/10209871288082569/

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 2 months ago #125133

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
interior progress

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 1 month ago #126375

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Running on Castlerock lake, wi. video taken from the dock.. facebook video because youtube takes to long to upload and the quality is crap on youtube... Thanks..

www.facebook.com/Joe122/videos/10210100651056500/

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 1 month ago #126406

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Enjoyed that one Shake. Good to see a big cruiser like yours running on the water like that. As big as she is, she looks like she handles nicely. Looks great at speed. As an owner of a '59 Bell Boy 265 Hardtop, I'm a fan of these Bell Boy boats. Thanks for sharing.

Eduardo

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 1 month ago #126430

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
NICE!!!! I got a 58 bell boy 265 family runnabout.... I'd LOVE to see your 265, I wish I had a hardtop on mine.....
Attachments:

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 1 month ago #126431

What a "cool boat" its great to see something larger being restored.

Don't sell the Y Block short. I run them in three cars, from stock 292 in a 55 T-Bird to stroked and bored 292 with 3 two's generating around 335hp in a 57 Ranchero other car is a stock 57 Retractable hardtop. Love these motors and have accumulated quite a few parts if you my need anything.

Eduardo you Bell Boy is cool also.

Jack

Re:Bell Boy express 21 Videos. 8 years 1 month ago #126435

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
thinking of switching over to an HEI distributor,,, I think there is some water in the tanks, that's why I was having issues keeping it running from time to time.... I need to install a water separator. been battling that engine all summer long, it's been a love hate, mostly love, relationship lol... whenever I order parts I basically look up 57 thunderbird 312.. almost there I think... or hope,, lifters normally a bit noisey on these y blocks? got them gapped at .019... Timing, I have the dwell set a bit high at 32 on the points, and timing seems to be around 15 degress BTDC... That centrifical advanced really had me scratching my head all summer thinking it was the carb or fuel pump...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online