Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1st time classic boat owner.ignition help please!

1st time classic boat owner.ignition help please! 8 years 4 months ago #122473

I'm new to the forums by the way and happy to be here ive read through some of yalls posts and actually learned alot in the past 3 days. Okay guys so i bought a 1962 RedFish. It has a 69 Johnson 55hp outboard motor mounted on it . So i took out first time and drove it around. After 40 min or so it started losing power then died. Noticed the ignition coil was blazing hot and had a crack in it .waited like 15 min ,it cooled down boat started right up and got me back to the dock. Changed it out not knowing anything about ignition coils just looked for something in similar shape. (Round cylinder ) bought an accell yellow and did the same thing. After reading for a day or so i learned about ohm resistance needed to the coil. If you have too low resistance it can heat up the coil and shut off (pretty much what happened to me). Then i learned the coil i bought only has a 1.3 internal res. My QUESTION now is. How much would an engine like this need? And has anyone else had this issue. From what ive learned this engine did not come with this type of ignition system it was swapped out somewhere in its lifetime to save money on coils. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys thank you and sorry for any misspelling I'm using my phone to do this and its pretty annoying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1st time classic boat owner.ignition help please! 8 years 4 months ago #122479

3 cylinder 55hp does not use a "round cylinder" type coil. Everything about that ignition system is unusual, including the fact the distributor is under the flywheel.

The coil is OMC/BRP part number 502886, 580688 or 580730

Re:1st time classic boat owner.ignition help please! 8 years 4 months ago #122481

Thank you for your input.i realized that just 2 weeks ago after doing research. I also found what they attempted to achieve.i found this on YouTube .

Re:1st time classic boat owner.ignition help please! 8 years 4 months ago #122482

Thank you for your input.i realized that just 2 weeks ago after doing research. I also found what they attempted to achieve.i found this on YouTube .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online