• Page:

TOPIC: I know I may get my knuckles slapped for this but,

I know I may get my knuckles slapped for this but, 8 years 5 months ago #121961

• Merccooper
  • Merccooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
anyone have a line on a working vintage(est) 30 or 35 hp short shaft. I'd prefer a Merc (no offence to others) but willing to take something other than Merc if need be.

I haven't be able to work on mine this winter and would like to have the boat out for the kids this summer.

(I checked the glassifieds but not much there, thought I would try a post instead)

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I know I may get my knuckles slapped for this but, 8 years 5 months ago #121963

There are a couple of really cool options in your inquiry from Mercury.
The Mark 30, a 30ci 4 cylinder that is somewhat tough to find and tougher to maintain in comparison to the Merc 300 or 350 - which are both 40 ci 4 cylinder sweet running motors that are E-Z to maintain, and if the need arises,...Easy to bump up HP with only a powerhead replacement required. In other words,...You get to keep your driveshaft housing (DSH) and lower unit (L/U), and 'Tah-Dah',...You can have as much as 50 HP if desired.
These HP bump-ups are E-Z P-Z to obtain - if desired.
and,...Yes - I have everything if you are unable to find these goodies locally.
My problem is time restraints, since I am crazy busy this time of the year.
doc F

Re:I know I may get my knuckles slapped for this but, 8 years 5 months ago #121966

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Doc, I,m confused now. are you saying that I can take my 1968 merc 350 and put a 50 hp power head on it? sounds interesting . then I would have a 50 hp short shaft, correct?. thanks for you time. greg

Re:I know I may get my knuckles slapped for this but, 8 years 5 months ago #121967

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
frog wrote:

Doc, I,m confused now. are you saying that I can take my 1968 merc 350 and put a 50 hp power head on it? sounds interesting . then I would have a 50 hp short shaft, correct?. thanks for you time. greg

Greg, the Doc is correct. If what you have is a 35hp Twin, those use the same exhaust housing (mid-section) with the same stud pattern as was used on '66-up 50hp models. The best way to build that would be to take the entire 50hp powerhead, from the bottom cowling & up, and slap it on your mid-section.

Far as I can tell by gasket numbers, even the exhaust tuner plate is the same but if yours is different than a 50hp, just use the tuner plate off a 50.

It'd most definitely be an upgrade and you could use a much newer powerhead on your older unit.

HTH.......ed

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online