Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting a title for your vintage boat

Re:Getting a title for your vintage boat 7 years 8 months ago #129729

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I.m currently going back and forth between minnesota and wisconsin on titling the 16'-0" buehler turbocraft I bought from duluth mn, in minisota, 16 feet and under requires no title (more on this to come) in Wisconsin it's 16 feet and over require a title. Now, in Minnesota in page 6 of the reg/title application,
under Watercraft Exempt from Titling.
8) watercraft manufactured prior to August 1, 1979. (1979 or older);

So maybe Minnesota is a better route for vintage boats 16 feet and over..

Here's the link to the application pdf:

files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/licenses/watercraft/title_registration.pdf

and here's the link to their page:

dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html

Wish me luck, I have to send in the minnesota reg/title aplication with the above info on it that I mentioned being prior to 1979. hopefully it works so I can title this damn thing and start putting some money into it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Getting a title for your vintage boat 7 years 8 months ago #129774

Shake & All,

Do any of the "vintage boat friendly" title/registration States allow NON-State residents to register their boats??
(I'm "falling heir to" a LONE STAR Admiral that has been "just sitting out in the weather" for over 3 decades. = The current owner was GIVEN the hull, to scrap-out for aluminum about 10 years ago & (thankfully) never "got around to" scrapping the old Lone Star.)

Note: As I've posted elsewhere, I'm HOPING that someone has some good PHOTOS (rather than drawings) of the 1952-55 Admiral hulls.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Getting a title for your vintage boat 7 years 8 months ago #129802

I'm not a Wisconsin resident but that is where all of my boats are registered.

Re:Getting a title for your vintage boat 7 years 8 months ago #129804

Ike made a great point about how easy it is to steal a boat and register it in another state. BUT damn how do you register a boat that you pick up as an old glassic that is over 60 years old that was bought from someone, who got it from someone, who got from someone, who got from....etc. and along the way, all markings were obliterated due to failed restorations, with good intentions, and paperwork is lost ?
I had the problem in NY one time where I could not register (without a a 3 week migraine), the boat without a bill of sale from the last registered owner. The state knew the last registered owner, but would not give me the name or address ? WTF ?
I'm sorry, but we are not thieves, we just just want to fix up and use an old boat. Am I wrong ? Am I short sighted ? I mean JEEZ do you think someone would steal a boat and wait 60 years, and say :I'm good, time to register it now ? I think you're a little late and a lot old (no offense I'm 55)! DUH !!!

Just think ? We pay to employ this goober-ment ! ha-ha !

Re:Getting a title for your vintage boat 7 years 8 months ago #129805

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
SATX if the boat is 15'-11" and below, Wisconsin is the way to go. If it is 16'-0" and below, No title needed in Minnesota, if it is older than 1979 manufacture date, No title needed regardless of size in minnesota... I will be checking into the Minnesota route a bit more soon.. with the Buehler I just bought from duluth mn, well it is 16 foot exactly in length, so it needs a title in wisconsin, but not in minnesota, so I had to send in a copy of the bill of sale and the filled out wisconsin application as well as a copy of the minisota reg application with the exempt from title section on the last page of that, I'm hoping this works... I cannot wait to get this Turbocraft on the water!!!!
Attachments:

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Getting a title for your vintage boat 7 years 8 months ago #129843

Has any watercraft law enforcement agency ever measured your boat? I would personally just say that it is 15'11" and roll with it. Nobody will ever notice an inch. I mean really, who would it hurt?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online