Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Separating the hull from the cap/gunnel thing?

Separating the hull from the cap/gunnel thing? 8 years 5 months ago #121428

Hello Glassheads

I spent the day removing the transom from the 62' Silver Line, I removed everything on both sides and the bottom right down to the glass. It looks to me that when installing the new one it would be a lot easier if the cap (I think this is what the piece of glass that covers the transom on the top is called). This cap is all one piece including the engine well, the gunnel, dash, and cover over the bow.
This is connected to the hull with a flange that is stapled with some fiberglass on the inside. It looks like it will come off easy enough. Is this acceptable procedure to separate these two pieces? I have no way of stapling them back together if I separate them. Can I screw them? This joint was covered by a hard rubber strip which I already removed. Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks
Chuck G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Separating the hull from the cap/gunnel thing? 8 years 5 months ago #121447

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Chuck,

It is typical to separate the deck from the hull during a new transom
installation. In your case, with a separate splash well, it actually become easier than most. Last year we did a transom installation and fabricated custom seat bases on a Larson Sea Lion with a separate slash well. It will be necessary to cut the floor back 10" to 12" to attach your new transom to the hull. We re-attached the splash well using 5200 quick dry adhesive and temporarily secured with screws until the adhesive dried, then glassed it all together. Here are a few photos of the process. Hope this helps.

Larry
www.vintageboatworks.com

Re:Separating the hull from the cap/gunnel thing? 8 years 5 months ago #121448

Thanks Larry for the info. I guess I am on the right track here with the 62' Silver Line. You have a very nice website, some really sweet restorations. I should have my website up and running in the next few weeks, Thisoldboat.net This website will feature a video blog of the restoration, launching, and cruising down the Mississippi of my 1973 Chris Craft Aquahome 46. Thanks again.

Chuck G

Re:Separating the hull from the cap/gunnel thing? 8 years 5 months ago #121488

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Here you go, on the second page of this post I have pictures and some info on splitting my dorsett belmonth sport.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/member-projects/and-so-it-begins-1959-dorsett-catalina/page-2

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online