• Page:

TOPIC: A question on paint selection

A question on paint selection 8 years 5 months ago #121375

• Modeler
  • Modeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm researching painting options for my Dorsett Catalina. From reading around it seems that most of the paints available are "topside" and for use only above the waterline. Does that mean I shouldn't use it below the waterline on my trailer boat? What if I use it to coat the entire hull but later decide to put antifouling paint on and leave it in the water for the season? Would I have to sand all the topside paint off first?

Should I just strike a waterline now and put a coat of antifouling on below to keep the option open for further antifouling? All this is new to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A question on paint selection 8 years 5 months ago #121405

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
IMHO "trailered boats" can survive just fine with topside paint, implement paint (with hardener), etc. as long as they are not left in the water for extended periods of time. Antifouling paint is mostly for salt water applications or vessels that sit in the water all summer/season long.

Many folks believe it's best to use a purpose specific "marine grade" paint, and I don't disagree - just don't normally have the budget to go that route. Many of us have gone the "economy driven" route and had good sucess with our daily drivers with this method.

Go to the Search Forum box in the upper right hand corner of the screen and type in "rustoleum" or "paint" and it will bring up all the archived posts you could ask for on the subject -much good info there!

Mark

Re:A question on paint selection 8 years 5 months ago #121406

Blue Flamingo (Mike) has a great low cost paint write up posted here as well as another site.

Re:A question on paint selection 8 years 5 months ago #121560

• Modeler
  • Modeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks gents. There's a good possibility that I'll end up leaving the boat in the saltwater on the Oregon coast for a few months next summer or the summer after. I guess I should not use topside paint below the waterline then?

Re:A question on paint selection 8 years 5 months ago #121567

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
If you're going to keep it in the water then just put antifouling pant over whatever is already there. You may have to sand it a little bit just to give the paint something to bite on to but nothing crazy.

-Brian

Re:A question on paint selection 8 years 5 months ago #121579

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Don't ask me how I know this but do not put regular paint or any other paint over antifouling. By design antifouling paint sheds. Any paint put over the top will eventually flake off probably after one season or sooner.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online