Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Dorsett Catalina restoration - New member

1960 Dorsett Catalina restoration - New member 8 years 6 months ago #121299

I am just starting full restoration, first time Dorsett owner needing lots of help from seasoned veterans.

Chrome. Probably the first things to come off my Catalina will be the chrome brightwork, wood, hardware, and windows. This will leave a clean hull/deck available for prep-work to gelcoat or paint (TBD).

On the issue of chrome, I would like some advise about best way to remove Dorsett chrome logos. They seem to have small fasteners on the inside of the cabin wall, which I cannot determine if they screw off or are pressed on and take a special method/tool to remove. Last thing I want to do is damage these logos, and make them difficult to remount.

On that note, is there such an animal as replacement fasteners that I can use when I remount the logos, in the event I damage originals in the process. If so, I would like the source.

I would also like recommendations for reliable, quality Chrome plating services. Given a choice, I would prefer Northern California, but would prioritize quality work before proximity. Any suggestions?

Also, are there sources that specialize in original or aftermarket chrome work, hardware, brightwork for Dorsett boats? If so, please forward contact info.

Thanks for any input you may have. Cheers . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 Dorsett Catalina restoration - New member 8 years 5 months ago #121309

Are you talking about recasting some parts ?
This an old thread with a place to get casting done ?

www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/company-to-do-some-aluminum-casting#75979

Re:1960 Dorsett Catalina restoration - New member 8 years 5 months ago #121612

I don't know about your badging, but all mine (two Dorsett logos and two "Catalina" badges) were held on with small screws drilled into the fiberglass without adhesive. It's a wonder they lasted that long, honestly.

The hardware on mine appears to be a chromed zinc (zamac?) material. I'm discarding the fittings that are broken in favor of new stainless, mostly chocks and cleats. I do have a nice original bow light that I'd like to get rechromed and rewire with an LED light, although I haven't really researched it yet. I'm sure someone out there does it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online