Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale

Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120876

I'm going to try and sell my husbands boat soon, however someone is interested in the current motor. Currently the boat is a 1956 Larson Falls Flyer with a 1957 Johnson Golden Javelin 35 HP. I have a red Johnson 10HP Seahorse motor from 1980 that I can replace the Javelin with.

I have tiles for the boat and the Javelin, but not the Seahorse. So, should I sell the Javelin separate from the boat or would that reduce the value of the boat too much?I've asked this on a boat forum, but I wanted to hear opinions from the guys who like classic boats as well.

Thanks in advance, as a non boat person I like the red motor with the boat.

Dawn
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120877

Here is the red one

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120879

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Unless you need money right away, I would advise you NOT to separate the engine from the boat. You have a very desirable boat/motor combination and a collector will pay top dollar for it as it is. If you sell the engine and the boat separately, you will almost certainly get less money. Also, a 10 HP motor is too little power for that boat so that motor would need to be sold separately as well...three separate sales. Find out from those more in the know what your boat is worth and then list it for sale here on Fiberglassics; list the 10HP motor separately. Take your time finding the right buyer. He's out there somewhere. Good luck.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120880

Thanks for the reply, that confirms what the other group said. I don't wish to step on toes, but could someone that is in the know contact me about a ballpark figure on this? Again, I'm not a boat person. Then I will gladly post in your classified section. I'm in the middle of the country, what do I do if the buyer is on one of the two coasts?

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120881

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Nautilus wrote:

Unless you need money right away, I would advise you NOT to separate the engine from the boat. You have a very desirable boat/motor combination and a collector will pay top dollar for it as it is. If you sell the engine and the boat separately, you will almost certainly get less money. Also, a 10 HP motor is too little power for that boat so that motor would need to be sold separately as well...three separate sales. Find out from those more in the know what your boat is worth and then list it for sale here on Fiberglassics; list the 10HP motor separately. Take your time finding the right buyer. He's out there somewhere. Good luck.

I agree 100% that! Leave the boat with motor as is and F/S. Sell the 10 hp separate. On selling? List as pick up ONLY, and if someone wants it on either coast, any out of state, they can figure out shipping there selves. Take your time, it will sell. Wish the best, and lotta help here. All ya gotta do is ask!
I can't offer a price figure as not knowledgeable the older stuff, but that looks like a pretty pristine classic!

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120883

I'll be honest, the boat is in good shape but there are some stress cracks on the transom where the motor sits. As well by the windshield. The javelin is missing one piece of chrome (pull cover latch?). I know the Javelin is in great running condition because my husband spent $800. Last summer having all it gone through by a professional (rings, seals and stuff). It also has the original wiring harness and starter box.

I have seen priestine Larson Falls Flyers go for $28k, but that was museum quality. Is it ou of price at 14k?

For what it's worth it comes with a custom made canvas cover, but I think that it has a small rip in it.

I appreciate all of your expertise and assistance!

Dawn

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120884

Okay, I added it to your classified but it's showing $14.00 instead of $14,000.???? Is there a moderator that can help me?

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120885

Never mind, I figured it out.. No comas!

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120887

beautiful match...DO NOT SEPERATE...hoping you get your asking price. my friend sold his classic freshly renovated, with the same size outboard for half of what your asking, so it might take a while. depending on your financial needs i would hold out a while for your asking price. i would also list it on ebay and other boating sites. ron

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120890

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Dawn:

Falls Flyers are rare, especially turn key examples. I would stay with the $14,000 price. Nobody ever got $10 by asking for $5. That price should give you plenty of wiggle room to negotiate. Expect to get offers between $10K and $12K. Require a 10% NON-refundable deposit and allow no more than two weeks for the balance to be paid. You'll be taking the boat off the market and turning down subsequent offers so at least if the buyer backs out, you'll have a little something for the trouble he has put you through. Take CASH ONLY; boat sold as-is/where-is. Good luck!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120891

Dawn,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Do NOT even consider separating the original boat/motor, imo.
(Also, don't discount becoming a "boat person".)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120892

Thanks to all that responded. I guess now it's a wait and see game!

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120900

Do not pull the Javelin off the Falls Flyer and replace it with a much later 10 HP motor.

Andreas

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 6 months ago #120902

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
All excellent advise. I would put it on Ebay for bids with a reserve of maybe $13,000. that way if no one hits your asking price or even bids you can tell what the feeling is and adjust accordingly and then you pay only the insertion price. Keep in mind that EBay takes a percentage of the selling price. They can also suggest shipping options to a buyer. I sold a 15' boat from WI to a person in TX who paid U-Ship $1200 to haul it. Pay is through PayPal with a non refundable 10% up front, and remainder deposited to your paypal account before or on the day of pickup. No money--no pickup. Have all the paperwork in order.
Best of luck.

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 5 months ago #121624

Sold the boat for full asking price! Nice couple picked it up today! Her Grandfather had one. Thanks to everyone again for your help!

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 5 months ago #121643

As usual I'm too late to give an opinion. You did well. :woohoo:

Re:Would changing out motors diminish the boat vale 8 years 5 months ago #121644

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I knew it would sell well and did! Congrats!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online