TOPIC: Flipping always makes me nervous

Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120681

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Especially with a finn.
Had to bite the bullet and flip the Tomahawk. Not an easy job for a "senior" doing it alone. Always makes me nervous until it's settled back down on terra firma.
Good news is it didn't drop 4' to the concrete and the center is not hogged. Now for a few days of sanding and scratch repair.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120682

a nice set of sky hooks help alot!!!

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120686

nice flipper you have there !
I'm glad you eased your mind with the foam.
Because if that boat fell ? I don't the couch cushions would have saved her ? Ha-Ha-Ha !!!

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120694

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Actually it was one of my easier flips. Hardest was the Century woodie. Bob (waterwings) can verify that...those suckers are heavy.
This Tomahawk was pretty well balanced. Ran a large bolt through the bilge drain and hooked up to that. Had to replace the cheesy bow eye with a two shank one reinforced from behind.
Attachments:

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120699

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Thank you for all of the posts and pictures. My restoration will literally follow your lead on almost every step, so I am watching closely and taking notes. Every picture helps (and I appreciate your e-mail answers to my specific questions)...you would probably be almost done if I stopped asking so many questions. You will be on the water way before me...be safe and keep up the amazing progress :)

Dr.Go!

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120702

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Dang, you sure are moving along with this boat!! looking good boss!!!

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120712

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Great job, Cal! Very professional looking. What paint did you use and how was it applied?

When we flipped the 19' 1929 Dee Wite, it was nerve-wracking. It had to be done with slings since there was no way to use the bow and stern. It was a real problem because most of the framework was bad and the topsides had already been removed. If we had dropped it, it would have turned into a pile of firewood shaped like a boat. I built two well-braced "towers" that rested on the stringers and hooked up a pulley arrangement that allowed the boat to spin. When lifted, it immediately turned 90 degrees but it had to be jacked up on one side to get from 90 degrees to 180 degrees. But the real trick was stopping it from spinning all the way around to 270 degrees where it wanted to go which we did with a "catch rope" pre tied to the right length. After we had it held in place at 180, we backed the trailer in and set her down.

I bought that rolling steel I-beam gantry for $500 from the local welding shop. Smart money.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120717

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jan, I know exactly how that goes. Many pictures of flipping the Century Sabre and inch at a time and trying to keep it from rolling and sh----ing out from the bottom. Looks like you did a good job of bracing.
About that paint job...Knowing your sense of humor I want to say I used a roller with a latex paint and then sprayed olive oil over the top to bring out the shine also makes it smell like a fine Italian custom. The flipped picture in the driveway looks shiny 'cuz it was just hosed down and brushed to get the dirt off before sanding and scratch repait. It's the sorta picture people post on EBay to make whatever look good.

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120720

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Now that was funny. I never thought of olive oil. I used Wesson oil and the boat ended up smelling like the Nebraska Cornhusker's Locker room.

So what have you done to make the hull look good after all the repairs were made? Did you somehow manage to match the gelcoat or are you going to paint? With what? With latex? Here's an idea: latex bottom paint. It's supposed to be ablative anyway, right? That's probably what they've been selling us all along for $200/gallon.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120722

Well done Cal!!!!!!!!!! Yeah the Century's are heavy as heck!!!!!!!! Not looking forward to when I have to flip mine! lol

Bob

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120723

Good job Cal !!
Hope I'm not holding you up on the motor. The yard is so soft I'm scared to move boats even with the 4 wheeler and it keeps raining a little every day.

Hey Dr. Go! When you get to this point you will have to title your thread Flip Wilson. LOL Might get a few laughs.

Gene

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120724

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Very nice and the progress is what I can only dream about. Thanks for the pics and I hope they keep coming.

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120726

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Cal I like both your humor and talent (and humor of the other here as well). I DID wonder how you got that bottom looking like a shiny new paint job so fast. I like that idea of a 2 stud front ring. Mine is one, but also should keep because it is original.
Gene - good one about Flip Wilson...I would have never thought of that. I think I can flip my 13 footer by hand with the help of 2 men... bigger than me (and 20-30 years younger too).
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120733

I'm LUCKY I guess. I have 4 strong backed and weak minded nephews that I was able to persuade (Beer and Hot Dogs) to come over and pull my boat off my trailer onto my yard and then roll her over and place her onto my rolling cradle. They said she wasn't all that heavy. Hmmm, was it because they were strong or weak minded???

I later modified the cradle to used once I had the bottom done so I could flip her back over and finish the topside work.

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120734

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jan, Wesson oil was plan "B". Fortunately The bottom isn't too bad, some deep scratches but no through gelcoat gouges. Honey do list is creeping up since the weather is turning sorta warmer if 40 is warm. I'll gradually start sanding with 180 grit, dig out the deep scratches down to bare glass and dribble them in with pure resin. When I do start sanding the neighborhood will have a nice deep blue haze settling on everything. Will be painting for sure, prolly single stage with hardner ut will be using a high build etching primer first. Can't do any painting probably until mid to late April when we hit a 60 deg day or so. I do see that the original colors were white on the topside and red or a deep coral on the bottom. If I stick to those colors the interior seating would probably be red vinyl with white piping or visa versa.
Gene, take your time. The punch list is a mile long. Haven't even thought about paint color much, how to mount and install interior seating, control mounting, trailer fix-up etc.
The motor is last thing to be mounted. Have two 'normous holes to fill on the starboard side where the PO or some gremlin mounted the controls with carriage bolts through the hull. What style is the control setup for the Triumph? With the soaking we got last night it will be a few more weeks before anyone gets walking in their back 40's.

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120738

Woke up to rain again this morning then turned to snow. We got about 1" in the last 1 1/2 hr but getting lighter now so maybe that's all we will get.
I will try to post some pics of the control setup when I get her out and untarped.
I hope your push pull steering will work on the Triumph it has cable system now.

Re:Flipping always makes me nervous 8 years 6 months ago #120746

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Flamingo, Nice job! Looks great, did you spray paint or roll and brush?
Gene, Still raining yet today. Wait for everything to dry out before you venture or uncover, maybe after Easter, no hurry on this end. I hope the push pull steering works also since I've already installed the mechanism and cable. Joe (Ferguson Poole) came up with an almost unfailing way to hook up the steering on the motor end. Kudos to him :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online