Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I need someone to teach me to say NO!!!

Re:I need someone to teach me to sau NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120454

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Two things:
First, way cool find. That is a sexy design.

Second, you are asking the wrong crowd to teach you to say no. I asked for help and got 6 boats in 1 year. No one stepped in. Enablers. All of em:)

What is you plan for this one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120455

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
cosmic, there is a 12 step program that you can join. I made it to the 2nd step. and got more boats, they are easier to get then to get rid of. lol. frog

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120456

Not to worry, everyone on this and many other old boat sites can't refuse a derelict vessel. Last month my son and I drove almost 2000 miles over a weekend to pickup a free Seafair Sedan in great condition. Had to pay something so I paid for 6 months of his storage fees, still seems like free. I have acquired 7 boats since August and disposed of 2,am actively working on 2, others are future projects, like next spring. Of course that does not consider what I might find between now and then. The only cure is not to look, fire Craigs List and ebay.

Good luck with your project. You really need to be looking for a El Camino of the same vintage to pull this beauty once you get the wind screen for it, they were made for each other.

Have fun,
Jack

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120457

• cosmic12
  • cosmic12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Well I did have one Custom Craft go away today sorta. It just went to a buddies back lot,outa sight outa mind thing.

Plan for the Sidewinder? Not got a clue at this point but its mine now like it or not. The real problem is I have no more room and I have a Herters Flying Fish showing up this weekend and still have to pick up the Magnolia I got last week.
Damm its getting stupid
Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120458

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I have four good boats sitting in rented storage buildings, five outside in the parking lot, two in the shop, one in the boathouse, one in the driveway two at a friend's house...and at last count, I had 19 inboard engines...straight 4's, 2 V4's, straight 6's, several V6's, two straight 8's, V8's and a V12. Obviously, I am not the one to teach you to say "NO!" My motto is, "Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase"...and I never have! Then again, I may have Alzheimer's but since I can't remember if I do or not, I figure it doesn't matter. That's enough for now...gotta go check Craigslist.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120463

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Palo Alto was the company's home so I bet this is one of their very early production models.

You might want to do some research and ask questions over at the Sidewinder site, www.sidewinder-boats.com

In the 80's I had a 16' "SS" model which is the one with a windshield. Ended up with a 1350 Merc on that one, it was quite a ride. My daughter was very young those days but she sure does remember riding in that boat!!!

Yours is commonly called a "Low-Pro" since there's no windshield and slightly different top design from the "SS". Your style boat was the one that was copied (i.e. "splashed the mold") by Jillions of other boatmakers.

Should be an excellent handling boat but watch out for bad transom. Of course it's a simple design and lends itself to repairs.

They're quite knowledgeable over at the Sidewinder site and should be able to answer your questions.

Sorry I can't help you with your addiction, I bought a boat last year and just picked up another one last month. The only thing stopping me from more is I ran out of space! We won't talk about the shop full of outboards, either!

Let us know if you find out any good info......ed

Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120464

I had a problem saying no too ?
Then one day my wife went postal on me.

Don't worry son..... your day is coming.... Ha-Ha-Ha !

Hint: Now I find ways to hide them. My yard is big enough that when my wife finds one back there, she asks me, when did you get that one ? I tell her I've had it for years, don't you remember that one ?

Now, you gave me a great idea !
When my wife saw your Flying Fish in the yard, I started to see the steam pouring out of her ears. But then I said, don't worry honey it's not mine, I just picked it up for someone, and I'm going to deliver it. She calmed way down.

But I think that trick will only work once ?

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120465

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Makes me glad my little 1 1/2 acres is filled with trees and considered a wetland. Limits by collection to three but if there is no hull damage I possible could float about a dozen in my back pond. Now there's a thought....hmmmm.
Nice find by the way :woohoo:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120471

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the support guys but somehow I have to stop I really do.
I still don't know for sure what I have with this one other than it does look as though it is an orig Sidewinder LoPro from the very early years. After spending way to many hours reading last night on the Winder site that really is all I have. Oh, and that site seems to be kinda shut down, it will not allow you to register.
Time will tell I guess and I will keep looking for info. At least I am fairly sure I found a real piece of history in the performance end of this silly hobby.
Again thanks guys and if anyone has more info post it.

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120473

OK, you want info ?

OBA (obsessed boataholic anonymous) has a chat discussion on Wednesday nights at 7:00 PM Central time !....
OH ? did you mean Sidewinder info ? Nevermind......

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120487

Chuck in Cincinnati,

I'm NOT a "boataholic". I'm NOT, I'm NOT.

I can stop buying boats, outboards, trailers anytime I want.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120496

Cosmic12 test !!!!
This will fit in the bed of a pick-up !
I wouldn't give this much, but that is what make offer is for.
Mark, if your hand starts twitching ? I'm calling boat hoarders, and we'll see you on TV ?

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120497

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
HA HA HA!! Chuck, I have that on my watch list!!! Believe it or not I had a couple of those when I was a kid, preteen years. No I have out grown those. There I said it....."NO"

Got the Winder home today. Kinda impressed with how these are put together very solid and with the hull/deck joint laminated inside and out there is no flex at all even with the rotten floor completely out. This appears as though it might be a fairly easy restore with the exception of the transom because of the deck joint but I think I can get around that. First I have to see what hoops N.Y. DMV wants me to jump through to register it. Oh ya, I might have to find me a 200hp engine now.
Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120498

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I would like to say No but my wifes says you might as well,,,I was down to 4 meteors but another came in today so Im back to 5,I like em Bill

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120505

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bilnan1 wrote:

I would like to say No but my wifes says you might as well,,,I was down to 4 meteors but another came in today so Im back to 5,I like em Bill

Well, if I could find a Meteor I could afford I would NOT!!! say no.
That's one of my someday some how boats.
You have 5? wow!

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120509

I can tell you my experience with the NY DMV. In the early 90's
When I lived in Olean, NY.
I bought a 1957 15.5 ft wooden Shepherd outboard from a guy who bought if from a guy, who got it from a friend, who got it from….. you know the drill ?
I was lucky enough that the shadow if the NY registration numbers were still readable. So I called the DMV to see if I could register it.
I was told I needed a bill of sale from the last boat REGISTERED previous owner. I proceeded to tell the DMV clerk about how I am the 4th or 5th generation
Of changing hands of ownership without any paper work. They told me, they know who had it registered last, So I asked if I could have the name and address so I could contact them
To get a bill of sale. The response ? I’m sorry, but I can not give you that information. I was told I’ll have to back through the guy who got it thru the guy, who got it from a friend… etc.
To get the bill of sale.
After talking to co-workers at the time. One of them told me to call the small DMV office one county over, they are much nicer there.

After calling there, and giving my sob story about being the 4th or 5th generation owner, and I didn’t know the last registered owner and I added that the last registered owner was believed to have died.
Well the DMV clerk knew who had it registered last, and said “let’s see if he still has a valid driver’s license, then we’ll know if he is still alive”. Sure enough, he had a license, and was alive.
I was able to get a name and town of residence. I contacted that person gave him 20 bucks got a bill of sale. When he asked how I got his name ? I said I went back through the people that owned to get his name.

Long story short ? You have to find a sympathetic New York State DMV clerk to help you out ? But I have a feeling you’ll have better luck winning a 1.25 billion dollar lottery first ,after being struck by lightning 3 times on the same day, during a blizzard on February 29th ?

Good Luck !

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120517

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Chuck, I hope you entered the Publisher Clearing House $7000 for life! You're the next winner!!!
I whole heartedly agree with you. The sensible counter person, one who is reasonable and practical will help. Here in WI I've never had any situation where someone didn't help get records straightened out if for any other reason than to get the states records up to date. Of course the fees collected factor in there someplace. My Tomahawk was last registered in '96 to a person with an AZ address who sold it to another fella in WI who never registered it who sold it to me cash, no bill of sale. All I had was the stickers on the hull. Wisconsin
DNR straightened out the trail and now it is legally registered and up to date, it's a win win all around.

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120523

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Although I dread it I am going to the DMV today. I not only have to take care of the Winder but I still have to do the 59 Custom Craft.
The CC shouldn't be a problem because I have a bill of sale and registrations from day one from the orig owner, the problem is there are no hull numbers and never were so that will be 1st up and tell me a lot of what to expect on the Winder that also has no #s that I can find.
Should have some info by the end of the day. Fingers crossed.

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120528

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
G'luck

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120531

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Not sure, but believe the 2.4 litre Merc V-6 from '84 to maybe '88 are some of the lightest 200's AND oil injection. Mine is an '87 and when people see it next to newer motors, they think it is the size of a 75hp. Hang onto your lugnuts if you put a 200 on that. I believe there is a thread here on fiberglassics under the "70's" where someone upgraded from a v-4 rude (due to mechanicals getting old) and put on a v-6 Merc Optimax. The tread talks about performance. I believe these boats like to chine walk when getting past the mid 50's (as some are v-bottoms with no flat pad...so check bottom for a flat running pad keel). ...and a 200 will push way past 50...even past 60...mine pushes my 20' open bow 950lbs Hydrostream Voyager just around 70. Others help me here - but true vee bottoms on short boats with lots of weight in the back and trimmed to the limits is a chine walking wipeout waiting to happen if you don't take the time to feel out your specific rig with lots of "seat-time" and never over-trim. Maybe a 200 would allow you to "shove" the boat to near wide open with almost no trim and keeping the hull wet and flat. Trimming high on this Vee with that much power will be a white knuckle experience we only hope to get through and back the dock to share with others.

Dr.Go!

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120548

If you need someone to teach you how to say NO, I will gladly introduce you to my wife.

Cheers

Down to one boat Bill

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120551

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
BB - I see one boat, but 2 motors...is that how you stretch it a bit? 2 in case one has a hic-up, so it was more of a safety issue right? (I am trying to justify myself). I am trying to control my hobby if possible, but I like 2 motors.

Dr.Go!

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120557

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Today was a nightmare. First and for most the DMV sucks!!! The 59 Custom Craft will be no problem because of all the paper work I have on it from the orig owner. Now the Winder is a totally different story, it will have to be registered as a home built because of no HIN or any historical paper work on it, and it will have to be inspected by a certified NYS marine architect. WTF! NYS=$$$$$$
So after that BS I head out to get the Magnolia and the turned into a 4.5 hr ordeal that should have been maybe 1.5 hrs at the most. I will spare you the details but I got it home. I am so done after I meet Chuck on Saturday and pick up the Flying Fish.
No more its over!!!! it has to be.
So if I can't keep the Sidewinder a true to its roots Hot Rod I am thinking of turning it into a mix of speed and finns. These are quick drawings I did tonight so bare with me on the ideas.

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120563

I think the HIN was on a missing piece of trim.
See the attached picture.
The hull looks like the also popular Bayliner Tahiti, which was one of the clones made off the Sidewinder.
A perfect combination with a 140 or 1500 Mercury inline-6.
Very hard to find a better handling hull for somewhat protected waterways.
doc F
Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120566

Hell, from your sketches ? it looks home made for me ?

clean it, polish it.... It's home made from Cosmic12. inc. patent pending ha-ha-ha

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120580

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Doc, I agree the 150 will probly be the max for it. I live on the Seneca river and much more than 60ish would be just dumb. From what info I have found it wouldn't surprise me if Bayliner did splash it,seems a lot did but it definitely is a Arrow Marine Sidewinder.
If the ones you have seen have that trim with the numbers on it than I am screwed because it ain't there.
Oh well it will be whatever it ends up being, only time will tell.
Now, anybody want a Magnolia?

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 7 months ago #120590

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh, I forgot. It does have a small pad about 4" wide at the transom tapering to nothing about foot forward. Also it looks like it had that seating (like in those pics) the outlines and tabs are still there in this one.

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120651

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have to give a big giant thanks to Chuck in Cinn for bringing my Flying Fish to Buffalo yesterday for me to pick up.
Truly a stand up guy I am proud to have as a friend.
THANK YOU Chuck if I can ever return the favor you know where I am.

Now, this is the last one, at least for a long while and it turns out that it is in much better shape than I was expecting so it will get cleaned up sealed up and stored away till the time comes when I can do a proper restoration.
Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120654

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Holy smokes! Lucky you, got a heckofalot better start than I did. over 357 holes to patch up.

Easy boat to work on though, no floor to worry about but I did put in a full wood transom.
G-luck
Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120657

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That looks so nice all done!!! I will be looking for a white Merc for this one but I am in no hurry at all and ya this seems to be a real good hull sofar.
You sure you don't want a Magnolia for the next project? Got a pretty nice one. LOL

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120685

Mark it was real pleasure meeting you !
Don't worry I'll come visit you sometime... cuz you got my trailer. Ha-Ha-Ha !
Hope your toothache is gone !
Did you stop to find a harness extension ? Or did you wing it, and drive it home ? Sorry everything was too short ? Story of my life....
Can't wait to see your multiple boat restores ? Because I'll know when to come visit, part of the deal was a ride in one of your boats Ha-Ha !

Lastly, now that you are at your boat limit ? The only way to scratch the itch, and not make the wife mad ? You can start trading up. Find a cooler boat, get rid of a crappy one.

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120707

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes, I stopped at Tractor Supply and got the harness ext and a bolt for the latch along with a section of chain. All worked out great and the trailer pulled fine. Thank you again.
I have decided after looking over the Fish that I only want 2 of the 6 I have. Those being the Fish and the 59 Custom Craft, all the rest need to go away and unless I come across a really unusual hull I will just say no.LOL. That being said I am looking for a str8 or V-drive inboard, fiberglass of course.

So who wants a Sidewinder, a Magnolia, a64 Custom Craft, or a Century Riviera? The only one that takes any $$ is the Century.

Come get'em

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120786

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Found this today and told myself "NO don't even get out of the truck!!!"
So I took a couple pics and left, rumor has it that it has been sitting in that spot for better than 20yrs.
Glastron I think but unless somebody wants it I am staying away.

Somebody has to want the Sidewinder or the Magnolia,
Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120828

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I might not be able to say NO to this. Been wanting a inboard for along time. "Nervously shaking my head in wonder"
Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120829

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hard choice but having owned an inboard before I will tell you that they are not cheap to run, are heavy at the ramp, difficult to back up in the water and actually less in house room to move around in. Sit an outboard inside one of your boats and get an idea of the room that thing takes up.
If the motor needs repair can you say sh....creek? Have to pull the thing out. I always wanted a water pumper and passed up a Sea Ray quite a few years ago with a Berkley. Kick myself for that too.
My Sabre had an AMC 327 with a Velvet Drive tranny, combo of engine and transmission was over 900#. Had to pull that engine to have it rebuilt and magnifluxed. $$$$$$$ :S
JUST SAY NOOOOO

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120830

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The weird thing about this is the engine.
I know it is probly junk but how many Ford straight 6's have you seen in boats?
I been around this crap all my life "60" and never seen this before.
Attachments:

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120849

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That motor might not be trash, Recognized it the minute I looked at the pictures. Those sixes were workhorses that could a beating. Had one in an older pick up.

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120852

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
63 Sabre wrote:

That motor might not be trash, Recognized it the minute I looked at the pictures. Those sixes were workhorses that could a beating. Had one in an older pick up.

Kinda what I am thinking, I know they were about indistructable and parts are pretty abundant if all the marine pieces are good.
That's why I am having a tough time saying ......NO...

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120914

That color blue on a boat engine usually means Crusader. Mercruiser used straight sixes for some time but they were/are black.
Larry

Re:I need someone to teach me to say NO!!! 8 years 6 months ago #120916

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Personally, I love inboards. I own 9 boats, mostly inboards, a few stern drives. All are V8s. Sure, the engines are heavy but you can get well over 300 HP with a small block Chevy. How heavy would a 300 HP outboard be? As for room, you don't really need much unless you're fishing and even then, the "dog house" is a seat.

I always opt for either a 327 or 350 Chevy, a 351 Windsor Ford or a big block 454. Performance parts for all of them are readily available and fairly cheap. A straight six is a long engine. Any boat that will accommodate a straight six will take the more compact V8.

Also, "junk" boats with V8s can be had for cheap. Maybe the engine has had it but you'll get the nearly indestructible Velvet Drive transmission and every single marine part to bolt onto another block. (Never buy an inboard boat without a Velvet Drive.)

Lastly, the sound. Of course, the absolute sweetest sound is a flathead engine but the non-muffled gurgle of a V8 at idle is music that an outboard just can't play. It makes me want to take my clothes off and drink beer. Pure magic!
Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle