Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HELP Daves dumb mistake on Mercury 58a

HELP Daves dumb mistake on Mercury 58a 8 years 7 months ago #120254

Impeller replacement. 1959 Mark 58a. Gear/cog for forward and reverse fell out.
Thought I "marked" gear for replacement. All went together well. No binding. But prop is always in same rotation. AYE CARAMBA! What did I do wrong?...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:HELP Daves dumb mistake on Mercury 58a 8 years 7 months ago #120258

• ed-mc
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Dave the Wave wrote:

Impeller replacement. 1959 Mark 58a. Gear/cog for forward and reverse fell out.
Thought I "marked" gear for replacement. All went together well. No binding. But prop is always in same rotation. AYE CARAMBA! What did I do wrong?...

Typical problem, don't feel bad, there's only about a Jillion before you that did the same thing!!

Be sure the control arm on the engine is shifted to Forward (the arm would be fully to the rear of the engine).

With the lower unit off, rotate the shift shaft Counter-clockwise until you feel resistance then shift a bit more and you should be in Neutral (use pliers or other suitable gripping tool with jaws cushioned with tape to prevent damage to the shaft splines).

Verify by rotating the prop shaft; it should be free to move in either direction.

Now that you have Neutral, rotate the shift shaft just a wee bit CW and you should feel the L/U shift. Don't move the shaft any more CW than it takes to shift to Fwd. Verify by rotating the propshaft; in one direction it should "ratchet", in the other direction the driveshaft will start to turn.

With the L/U in Fwd, assemble the 2 halves of the brass reverse lock cams. They nestle together, only one way.

The round cam is on the bottom, and the cam with "ears" is on top.

You'll note there are slots in the L/U cavity where the ears of the upper shift cam fit. Take the upper/lower cam assy and install in place.

So, you've got the cams installed, in Fwd gear. Should be ready for installation!

One check that will be educational, shift the gearbox to Neutral and you'll notice how the upper cam rises, which will push on the reverse lockout rod assy to latch the tilt pin. So, the pin is latched in Neutral and Reverse. Be sure to shift back to Fwd before installation.

HTH...........ed
Attachments:

Re:HELP Daves dumb mistake on Mercury 58a 8 years 7 months ago #120265

Thanks!!! If you get down South beers are on me!!!!

Re:HELP Daves dumb mistake on Mercury 58a 8 years 7 months ago #120288

Maybe five minutes to r and r and repair!!! Woooo Hooo. This pm ran the ol girl almost an hour. Soon very soon it will be back and running on real water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle