• Page:

TOPIC: Nav Light Repair

Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12015

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I run across a lot of cool nav lights- On Ebay, Flea markets, garage sales, etc. It seems that they are often missing their globes- or the globes are damaged... The ones that are complete often get a premium price, especially on E-Bay.

Sometimes, I'd luck out and find a modern globe that was close enough, or run across a NOS one somewhere that worked, but not most of the time. So, Since I'd done a lot of work in the past with plastic, I decided to try making them. I've done a few since, and have gotten pretty good at it.

Here's the latest one, a cool perko light with fins that is going to be perfect on the Glasspar. It was only $5.00 on EBay, missing the globe-

This pic shows the form I used, which is made of pine. The plastic is heated, then formed... If anyone is interested in more details on how it's done, I'd be happy to post them. Its not too tough, costs next to nothing, and could probably save a LOT of those otherwise useless lights out there!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12026

That sounds neat If you want post how you do it or email me my address is in my profile.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12032

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'd like to know too Andrew, please share your method with all of us. That's a nice old perko, love the fins. Sounds like a great way to save some more of the past!

Mark

Re:Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12096

Bravo!

Please share your process.

Doug

Re:Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12102

andgott,by chance would you like to sell that stern light or have another that you might want to sell,mark s was nice enough to send me a stern light but the light wont come apart at the pole,so im still looking for a neat classic stern light for the 64 cc sunray,we are going to harveys lake on aug 6th for their classic boatshow and it would be great to have one.thank you john,p.s. marks do you want me to send back your light?

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12131

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Here's how I do it- Sorry about the poor photos, I did them with my cell phone in one hand while I was doing the work- Next time I'll get my wife to help out ;)

First, I make a form in the shape of the globe- I use wood, usually just a chunk of 2x4 with nice tight grain-

It needs to be about 1/4" or so smaller than you want the piece to be, since you'll be forming it around the outside-

The plastic I use is just 1/8" acrylic, nothing special. I've found that some plastics tend to take to heat forming better than others. The protective covering is still on this, of course you'll want to remove it!

Lay the sheet on top of the form, then start heating it with the heat gun. I use it on LOW, because I dont want to melt or burn the plastic. Even on low you've got to keep an eye on things.

It'll start to soften a bit, that's when you start to form it. My 'Secret weapon' at this point is a handy pair of 'ove gloves', you know, those things that the sell on annoying late night TV infomercials.... They allow me to handle the plastic when it's hot, and use my hands to mold it around the form.

It'll start to droop around the form-

Keep heating it, and forming it. Work your way around, forming it as you go... When you get near the bottom, a tool is helpful to form the bottom of the globe shaped-

I use a paint stirrer, push the bottom in, then let it cool a bit so it holds its shape.

Work your way all around the bottom, heating, forming, and cooling as required. Just don't overheat it, or it'll get brittle-

And, the test fit-

It FITS!!

Now all that's left is to trim the bottom of it so it fits inside the fixture. If you want to, you could give it a good polish with some compound to get it really smooth- but it looks good enough for me at this stage.

-Andrew

Re:Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12142

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Well done Andrew, impressive ingenuity. I would imagine, like with many things, it takes some practice (and patience) to get good at it. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Mark

Re:Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12149

andrew,FANTASIC THREAD!,ill have to try it,it earned you a thumbs up!(karma))'

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Nav Light Repair 14 years 2 months ago #12162

I copyed it and printed it out so I won't lose it. Now all I got to do is get a heat gun.
Thanks you vary much
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Nav Light Repair 12 years 5 months ago #60027

Hi Andrew,

I've been looking for that exact sternlight for ages! We lost the top part of ours in an accident and I've been looking for a replacement since. (see pic)
I would really love to buy this one from you, or if you already have it in use could you give me any information that might help me find a replacement? Only through your comment at least I'm sure it's a Perko so that already helps a lot :)

Please let me know!

Thanks,
Alex
Attachments:

Re:Nav Light Repair 12 years 5 months ago #60032

I love your work. You get a ----
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online